CARTER: Reinvigorate Life section headlines

Headlines should grab the reader’s attention and succinctly reflect the article’s main themes and ideas

Each literary section of The Cavalier Daily differs in its purpose, tone and writing style. News articles sound formal, while Arts & Entertainment reviews flow more freely. Humor pieces can be liberal with flowery language, but Health & Science works must deal in a certain amount of simple explanation and scientific terminology. The writers and editors in each section hone their craft, presenting articles every day that are both stylistically and topically appealing.

However, one aspect of literary journalism should be consistent across topics, sections and platforms: Headlines. Well-written headlines should entice potential readers with a mixture of boldness and simplicity. They should describe the article’s content in few words, without revealing the piece’s conclusion. They must be snappy, clear, accurate and interesting in order to attract and inform the widest possible audience.

The Cavalier Daily usually promotes well-thought-out headlines. An excellent recent example comes from Arts and Entertainment Senior Writer Lou Malmgren’s review of Kesha’s new album, “Rainbow.” The headline reads, “‘Rainbow’s’ deceptive simplicity points to something greater.” Based on this headline, readers know Malmgren will be reviewing “Rainbow,” and they know he will probably give a favorable opinion. They are still curious about the article’s content — what is the “something greater?” Did I miss something the last time I listened to this album? What is the deeper meaning of Kesha’s new material? This headline rings with depth while maintaining a strong tone and acceptably short word count.

The paper’s headlines are weakest, however, in the Life section. In this section, where the purpose of writing is to connect with readers through shared life experiences, it is unacceptable for headlines to be anything less than profound, powerful and relatable. Instead of referring to the life experiences described in each column, these headlines should promote the column’s theme and tell readers why they should care about one writer’s summer vacation to Mexico, or one writer’s Red Bull-fueled all-night study session.

For example, a recent piece from Life columnist Madeline Seymour carries the headline, “A narrative of my summer explorations.” Seymour describes in the column how memories of her summer adventures stay with her in the form of scars and bruises as the new school year begins. Her tone and message are deeply meaningful, but the headline doesn’t do them justice, relating more to a middle-school diary entry than to a thoughtful introspection on the transition from a fun, innocent summer to the mature practicality of Fall semester. 

The paper should work harder to promote the real beauty of Life columns through headlines, rather than falling to the ease of explicatory or summative titles.

Candace Carter is the Public Editor for The Cavalier Daily. She can be reached at publiceditor@cavalierdaily.com