FITZPATRICK: Take on a new challenge this year

Difficult but fulfilling experiences are the best way for students to start school

<p>Students should take full advantage of their time at the University and embrace its challenges.</p>

Students should take full advantage of their time at the University and embrace its challenges.

The beginning of a new school year represents a fresh start — a time to make new goals and seek different experiences. It is a time to envision what you want your year to look like. The question is, are you seeking new challenges or are you hoping for a low-key, comfortable year? The University provides incredible and often challenging opportunities to tackle, and now is the time to take advantage of them. Avoiding the easy path is the best way to have a fulfilling time at the University, and the beginning of the school year is the time to start on that path.

Students should not seek to have a convenient and easy year. Time at the University should not be remembered as a bland haze of boring classes and routine parties. Comfort, while momentarily attractive, does not lead one to “say in reverence and thankfulness: ‘I have worn the honors of honor, I graduated from Virginia.’” “The Honor Men” is a call for an impactful and principled life, not an easy one. Unfortunately, many college students shy away from challenges, opting for a painless and growth-less year.

If I had a dollar for every time an adult told me “college was the best time my life — enjoy it,” I could pay for college. A quick Google search of “what college students want” yields a plethora of articles like “33 Awesome Gifts Any College Student Will Totally Love.” While these articles are not inherently bad, University students should want more than superfluous gifts. All the articles center around making students comfortable, which is the opposite of what college ought to be. A place of bold ideas and diverse opportunities should not drive students to complacency. Time at the University should be characterized by breaking out of comfort zones more than creating them. 

The start of the year brings with it “the fierce urgency of now” when it comes to challenges. For starters, the Fall Activities Fair is the best opportunity for all students — not just first years — to see all the diverse opportunities the University offers. Madison House programs are setting their schedules for the semester, and CIOs are interviewing applicants. Joining Spectrum Theatre or the No-Tones could help you conquer your fear of performing in front of others. Volunteering with International Justice Mission or The Haven homeless shelter could feed your passion for justice. 

It is not too late to put yourself on a listserv or attend an information session for an organization that interests you. @UVA is a directory of activities and organizations containing descriptions and contact information. It is a wonderful place to start — I sifted through many of the activities on the site shortly after coming to the University, and found it to be very helpful.

Although it may not feel like it, you will never have as much free time as you do in college. Now is the time to attack your weaknesses and meaningfully impact your community. This applies to first and fourth years alike. It is never too early or too late to get out of your comfort zone and try something new. It may mean taking a challenging class because you believe the material will be interesting and helpful, without stressing about how it may affect your GPA. Challenging yourself now will set a positive precedent for the rest of your life, where facing and overcoming challenges is paramount. The University provides many opportunities to become someone who tackles rewarding challenges. To paraphrase Dumbledore, healthy, prospering challenges will always be given at U.Va. to those who ask for them.

For first years, the University is an unexplored world of opportunities just waiting to be discovered. The starry-eyed excitement of being in a radically new environment pushes many first years to expand their comfort zones. That same eagerness can rapidly deteriorate as one settles into the rhythm of school life. Older students know more about the community, have an established support system and are better at managing their time — meaning they are better prepared to branch out. However, that is not always the case, as the comfort of routine can be alluring. The importance of facing new challenges is true for every student at the University.

As bestselling author and speaker Brandon Burchard observed: “Challenge is the pathway to engagement and progress in our lives.” University students should want their college years to be among the best years of their lives, not the easiest. The University provides abundant and diverse opportunities to leave one’s comfort zone. I’m sure you want the University football team to start the year strong — why can’t you as well?

Connor Fitzpatrick is an Opinion columnist at The Cavalier Daily. He can be reached at opinion@cavalierdaily.com.