Men’s golf struggles at Carpet Capital Collegiate Tournament

<p>Senior Danny Walker was the Cavaliers’ top performer in the Carpet Capital Collegiate.&nbsp;</p>

Senior Danny Walker was the Cavaliers’ top performer in the Carpet Capital Collegiate. 

The No. 15 Virginia men’s golf team started its fall season off poorly this weekend with a 14th-place finish out of 15 teams in the Carpet Capital Collegiate Tournament.

The Cavaliers shot a combined three-round score of 903 (39 over par). The team struggled to find a groove throughout the tournament, as Virginia shot a 303 (15 over par) the first round, a 297 (9 over par) the second round and a 303 again the final round.

No. 18 Georgia Tech finished in first place with a final score of 850 (14 under par). The Yellow Jackets won the tournament after defeating No. 19 Alabama in a sudden death playoff hole, as Alabama also finished with a three-round score of 850. 

Senior Danny Walker was the Cavaliers’ top performer in the Carpet Capital Collegiate. Walker shot a 219 (3 over par) to finish tied for 31st overall out of 81 competing golfers.

Walker’s best stretch of the tournament came in the second round, in which he shot a team-best round score of 69 (3 under par). The Bradenton, Fla. native had an outstanding performance on the front nine in that round, as Walker birdied on holes No. 2, No. 5, No. 8 and No. 9 as well as eagled on hole No. 1.

Virginia will next compete in the Rich Harvest Farms Invitational starting Sept. 24. The tournament will be played in Sugar Grove, Ill.