Virginia falls to No. 1 UCLA

<p>Virginia evened things out as sophomore forward Taylor Ziemer blasted in a free kick and got her second goal of the season.</p>

Virginia evened things out as sophomore forward Taylor Ziemer blasted in a free kick and got her second goal of the season.

The Virginia women’s soccer team suffered its second loss of the season as No. 1 UCLA left Klöckner Stadium with a 2-1 victory.

While Virginia (4-2-0) finished the evening with 13 shots and UCLA only managed to get off five shots, the Bruins were able to make the most of their opportunities and get the win.

The Bruins first got on the scoreboard in the 11th minute when UCLA freshman forward Ashley Sanchez got one past Virginia freshman goalkeeper Laurel Ivory. The goal was the first of the season for Sanchez.

With a little over five minutes until halftime, Virginia evened things out as sophomore forward Taylor Ziemer blasted in a free kick and got her second goal of the season.

However, Ziemer’s shot was the only one to get past UCLA goalkeeper Teagan Micah, who finished the night with four saves.

UCLA, however, was able to find the back of the net a second time. In the 57th minute of play, senior defender Mackenzie Cerda scored off a pass from Sanchez. The goal was just the fourth one Ivory has allowed all season.

The Cavaliers will have a chance to bounce back from the loss with a matchup against another top-five team, as No. 5 Penn State comes to Charlottesville Sunday.