Charlottesville Police seeking 10 suspects in Aug. 12 assault

Alleged assault occurred on the Downtown Mall

<p>The CPD sent out a media release on Monday requesting “public assistance” in identifying 10 individuals in grainy images from the scene.&nbsp;</p>

The CPD sent out a media release on Monday requesting “public assistance” in identifying 10 individuals in grainy images from the scene. 

The Charlottesville Police Department is asking for help from the public to identify 10 suspects related to an alleged assault that occurred during the white nationalist Unite the Right rally on Aug. 12.

The assault reportedly took place on the Fourth Street crossover on the Downtown Mall. Detective Brady Kirby, the lead investigator on the case, said the report was filed by the alleged assault victim Sept. 28, over a month after the incident.

The CPD sent out a media release on Monday requesting “public assistance” in identifying 10 individuals in grainy images taken at the scene. 

Kirby declined to give specifics about any leads they had garnered as a result of their community outreach. Additionally, he did not provide any information about the nature of the assault or possible motivations. 

“It’s a little bit early, because we just put it out a couple days ago,” Kirby said. “But we’re continuing to work on it.” 

The assault is alleged to have happened on the same street crossing where a car drove into a crowd of people, killing 32-year-old Heather Heyer and injuring at least 35 people. However, Kirby said this particular assault under investigation is unrelated to that incident.