No. 10 men’s soccer draws at NC State, 0-0

<p>Senior goalkeeper Jeff Caldwell shut out NC State to lead the Cavaliers to a draw.</p>

Senior goalkeeper Jeff Caldwell shut out NC State to lead the Cavaliers to a draw.

No. 10 Virginia continued to pick up points against ACC opponents in its 0-0 draw against NC State. The Cavaliers are tied for third place in the ACC Coastal Division with No. 7 Duke at nine points, trailing No. 5 Notre Dame and No. 3 North Carolina. 

Virginia played in its seventh overtime game of the season, taking 110 minutes only to come up with zero goals. In the first half, the game was a battle of possession with each team only getting off three shots. 

Virginia senior goalkeeper Jeff Caldwell grabbed his 21st career shutout in the draw, preventing the only shot that the Wolfpack got on goal in the second overtime period. The fourth shutout of the Cavaliers’ season set the way for a possible top-three finish in the Coastal Division. 

In the overtime period, the Cavaliers were able to outshoot NC State 4-1, with a great chance coming from Virginia sophomore midfielder Robin Afamefuna. Virginia was not able to capitalize, and their overtime record pushed to 3-1-3 on the season.

Virginia returns home to Charlottesville Tuesday to face off against Radford. The contest takes place at Klöckner Stadium at 7 p.m.