No.13 women's soccer beats Louisville in overtime

<p>Senior forward Veronica Latsko netted the game winning goal for Virginia in its overtime victory against Louisville.</p>

Senior forward Veronica Latsko netted the game winning goal for Virginia in its overtime victory against Louisville.

After a long double-overtime match Thursday night, the No. 13 Virginia women's soccer team went into overtime again Sunday afternoon against Louisville. This time, however, the Cavaliers (8-3-3, 3-1-2 ACC) came away with a win rather than a draw, as Virginia senior forward Veronica Latsko scored the golden goal in the first period of overtime. 

“You felt it was coming,” Virginia Coach Steve Swanson said. “We just caught them on a break and Veronica got in and did what she does best. She has an amazing amount of energy. To do what she did all game long is impressive.”

Latsko, who was just named the ACC Offensive Player of the Week and United Soccer Coaches National Player of the Week, has scored five goals in the past three matches. Latsko's goal against the Cardinals (8-6-0, 2-4-0 ACC) came in the 99th minute when Virginia senior defender Megan Reid sent a long ball past the Louisville defense for Latsko. In a one-on-one situation with the keeper, Latsko found the back of the net. 

The Cavaliers outshot the Cardinals 17 to six, and also had five corner kicks. Virginia freshman goalkeeper Laurel Ivory only had to make one save for the Cavaliers. 

The next game for Virginia is not until next Saturday. The Cavaliers will host Clemson, with kickoff scheduled for 7:00 p.m.