Perhaps the finest restaurant in Charlottesville

Sheetz might pleasantly surprise you

<p>Sheetz took the spot of Eddy's Tavern on the Corner.</p>

Sheetz took the spot of Eddy's Tavern on the Corner.

I wanted to review a restaurant of refinement and culture — one that truly embodies fine dining — so I chose to review Sheetz.

Many people have preconceived notions of gas station food, but Sheetz differs from a typical gas station. You can order made-to-go food just as you would at, say, a fast food restaurant. All of the ordering is done on a screen and the only human interaction is when you hand your receipt to the employee at the cash register to pay for your food. The menu has a lot of options — mainly typical American fast food items — and you can customize almost every item on the menu, making the possibilities vast. I have been to a few Sheetz in the past, though never by foot. 

I personally enjoy the loaded tots and fries (pictured below) which taste great, but you might not necessarily feel good about yourself after eating them. Who cares though, we work too hard — indulge. These are completely customizable like nachos, so you can’t really go wrong. The chicken tenders are also a favorite of mine and come smothered in a sauce of your choice. I prefer the garlic, Old Bay dry rub (forget about Buffalo Wild Wings). The garlic and Old Bay combo allows for a unique yet subtle flavor — nothing I would expect from a gas station.

The three for $4 appetizers turned out to be a smaller portion than what I expected, with only a few count of each appetizer you order. Taste-wise Sheetz offers what you normally expect from fries and onion rings — greasy yet good. The eatery also offers a wide variety of drinks. I tried the orange cream milkshake which I loved and thought tasted just like an orange creamsicle. Who needs a pumpkin spice latte from Starbucks when Sheetz now offers a pumpkin cold brew? The cold brew was quite flavorful so no additional sugar or milk was necessary. 

I have tried two different sandwiches — the grilled cheese and the Skinny Hot Chick Sub. The latter, under a subcategory called “Eat Shmart,” is meant to be a healthier option. The Skinny Hot Chick Sub — a six-inch chicken sandwich on multigrain with lettuce, pico, red onion and jalapeno ranch — had a nice combination of flavors, but the bread to topping ratio was off, causing the sandwich to fall apart. Though much simpler, the grilled cheese did more for me. It comes on sliced sourdough with a variety of cheeses to choose from and the option of additional toppings or sauces. I got cheddar and Swiss cheese with tomatoes. It tasted like an average grilled cheese and was smaller than I expected but satisfying nonetheless.

The place itself has a pleasant atmosphere, adequate seating space and was very clean. A few of my friends said they were pleasantly surprised because they expected the place to be unclean or unpleasant given the connotation of a gas station. During the weekend, however, this sacred space will likely be disrupted by a bunch of drunken, obnoxious college students. Do not be one of these people. My sympathies are with the workers who have to deal with this.

Sheetz is open 24/7 and will now join the other popular late night eateries on the Corner­­­ — Littlejohn’s, Christian’s Pizza and The White Spot, to name a few — giving students a wider range of places to eat after a night out. Time will tell if this gas station food can compete with staples like the Gus Burger and tortellini pizza.