Virginia ties Notre Dame, 1-1

Cavaliers go into double-overtime against Fighting Irish

<p>Senior forward Veronica Latsko netted the game winning goal for Virginia in its overtime victory against Louisville.</p>

Senior forward Veronica Latsko netted the game winning goal for Virginia in its overtime victory against Louisville.

For the fourth time this season, the Virginia women’s soccer team went into double-overtime as No. 13 Virginia (7-3-3, 2-1-2 ACC) played Notre Dame.

The 1-1 match between the Cavaliers and the Fighting Irish (6-4-3, 2-2-1 ACC) was 110 minutes of intense, physical play.

“We’re definitely more of a possession-style team, the way we come out against physical teams — which we knew Notre Dame was going to be — is that we just play our game,” senior forward Veronica Latsko said. “We don’t let them impose their style of game on us, and we just have to keep moving the ball faster than they can defend us. I thought they did well at times in the first half, but in the second half and double-overtime, you could tell they couldn’t keep up with us.”

In the first half, despite the Cavaliers outshooting the Irish eight to five, it was Notre Dame that found the back of the net first. The unassisted goal came from Notre Dame midfielder Sandra Yu in the 41st minute of play.

The Cavaliers evened things out in the second half as Latsko scored off of a cross from sophomore midfielder Courtney Petersen. This was the fourth goal of the season for Latsko, who was just named the ACC Offensive Player of the Week and the United Soccer Coaches National Player of the Week.

With the score 1-1 at the end of 90 minutes of play, the match headed into overtime. Neither team was able to get on the scoreboard again, leaving the game to result in a draw. 

“We’re a young team, but we’ve got so much effort and so much talent, and we just need to tap into it,” Latsko said. “We’re a team full of heart — we dug deep tonight and unfortunately didn’t get the turnout we wanted. We would’ve loved to get the W.”

The Cavaliers will now host Louisville Sunday at 2 p.m. for another ACC matchup.

“We’ll watch film [to] prepare for Louisville,” Latsko said. “They’re going to be another really good team that is coming to us. Luckily we’re at home … So we need to take advantage of that and get our recovery and just keep looking forward and learn from our past mistakes and apply it to the next game.”