Weekend previews: Oct. 28-30

‘The Skinny’ on weekend action for women’s golf and volleyball

<p>Junior Anna Redding has gotten off to a hot start, posting two top-10 finishes in two tries.&nbsp;</p>

Junior Anna Redding has gotten off to a hot start, posting two top-10 finishes in two tries. 

Women’s golf

What: Landfall Tradition

Where: Wilmington, N.C.

When: Friday – Sunday

The Skinny: The Virginia women’s golf team will compete in their third tournament of the fall this weekend at the Landfall Tradition.

The Landfall Tradition is an annual tournament hosted by UNC Wilmington that attracts some of the most talented collegiate teams in the country. Included in the 18-team Landfall Tradition field this year are six teams ranked top-15 in the country by golfstat.com — Alabama, Duke, Florida, Furman, Oklahoma State and South Carolina.

The Cavaliers enter the tournament well-prepared for this level of competition though, as they already have experience competing against many of the Landfall Tradition teams this fall.  Virginia competed against seven of these teams in its most recent tournament two weeks ago at the Tar Heel Invitational.

Virginia’s starting lineup for the Landfall Tradition will be freshman Beth Lillie, sophomore Julia Ford, and juniors Morgan Gonzales, Katharine Patrick and Anna Redding. The Cavaliers have used this same starting lineup in both of its previous fall tournaments. The player to watch for Virginia is Redding. Redding has had an outstanding start to the season, with two top-10 finishes in two tries. The junior is currently ranked No. 13 in the country by golfstat.com.

Virginia is scheduled to tee off Friday at 10:09 a.m.

— Compiled by Jack Gallagher

Women’s volleyball 

What: Virginia (4-17, 0-10 ACC) vs. Syracuse (15-8, 7-3 ACC) 

Where: Syracuse, N.Y.

When: Sunday, 1 p.m.

Virginia (4-17, 0-10 ACC), will travel to Syracuse, N.Y. Sunday to battle against the Syracuse Orange (15-8, 7-3 ACC) in what will shape up to be a tough match for the Cavaliers. 

Last time the Cavaliers took to the court, they were unable to find any meaningful success. Despite their mistake-laden play, both the Blue Devils and Demon Deacons were able to walk away from Memorial Gymnasium with a win after the Cavaliers fell apart in late sets. 

Virginia will enter their match the obvious underdog. Having lost their last 12 matches, the Cavaliers have had a long stretch of inconsistent play. In their match against Wake Forest, Virginia was able to take the game to five sets, but after allowing a Demon Deacon comeback in the fourth set, the Cavaliers were unable to rally and dropped the fifth set, 15-7. 

The Cavaliers have had historic difficulties when going up against the Orange. Virginia is currently 3-6 in the series, and has dropped four straight of their last meetings. The Orange are also coming off a huge win on the road against the Clemson Tigers, the Cavaliers will no doubt face a fired up and focused Syracuse team. In their match against the Tigers, the Orange were able to quickly dispatch the Tigers in a decisive 3-0 sweep. 

The Cavaliers begin this key matchup 1 p.m. Sunday.

— Compiled by John Garza