Weekend previews: Oct. 6-8

“The Skinny” on men’s and women’s soccer and women’s volleyball

<p>Senior forward Veronica Latsko will lead Virginia women's soccer against Louisville this weekend.</p>

Senior forward Veronica Latsko will lead Virginia women's soccer against Louisville this weekend.

Men’s Soccer

What​: No. 11 Virginia vs. Boston College

When​: Friday at 7 pm 

Where​: Klöckner Stadium in Charlottesville

The​ ​Skinny​: Coming off a thrilling overtime win at Klöckner Stadium Monday, No. 11 Virginia will take on Boston College in a key ACC matchup Friday. 

The Cavaliers (7-1-2, 1-1-2 ACC) have played dominant soccer lately, but have not performed well in ACC play. They look to improve that record against the Golden Eagles (3-7-0, 0-4-0 ACC), who have struggled lately, losing their last three games in a row. 

This Virginia soccer team has never failed to excite. They have had six contests extend to extra time this year and three overtime wins. Their win Monday night against Portland required more late-game heroics, this time coming from junior forward Edward Opoku, who boosted the Cavaliers to victory in the 96th minute. 

Boston College comes off a full week of recovery after a tough loss to Virginia Tech, fresh and looking to bounce back in ACC play. 

The ACC contest starts at 7 p.m. Friday at Klöckner Stadium. 

— Zach Zamoff

Women’s Soccer

What: No.13 Virginia vs. Louisville

When: Sunday at 2 p.m.

Where: Klöckner Stadium in Charlottesville

The Skinny: The Virginia women’s soccer team will host Louisville for an ACC matchup Sunday afternoon.

The game between the Cavaliers (7-3-2, 2-1-1 ACC) and Cardinals (7-5-0, 1-3-0 ACC) will be the fourth time the teams will have faced off. Virginia has one each of the three games already played between the two programs.

Last year, the Cavaliers came away with a 2-1 victory when they traveled to Louisville. Current Virginia senior forward Veronica Latsko scored the game-winning goal in the contest.

Latsko was recently named both the ACC Player of the Week and the United Soccer Coaches National Player of the Week after picking up three goals and two assists in Virginia’s 7-0 win against Pittsburgh. This was the second hat trick for Latsko in her career.

Virginia’s offense is also led by sophomore forward Taylor Ziemer and freshman forward Taryn Torres. Ziemer — who leads the team in points — has four goals and four assists, and Torres has five goals.

Meanwhile, Louisville is led by freshman midfielder Emina Ekic, who has seven goals and two assists on the season. As a high school player, Ekic was named the Kentucky Gatorade Player of the Year in 2016. 

Kickoff is scheduled for 2 p.m. Sunday. After the match against the Cardinals, the Cavaliers will not be back in action until Saturday when they host Clemson. 

— Emma D’Arpino

Women's Volleyball 

What: Virginia vs. Notre Dame 

When: Friday at 7 p.m. 

Where: Memorial Gymnasium in Charlottesville

The Skinny: Virginia will look to regain their footing against a proven and accomplished Notre Dame squad after a shaky start to their season.

The Cavaliers (4-11, 0-4 ACC) are now is squarely within conference play and needs a solid win under their belt to have a chance at postseason appearance. With the last victory by Virginia almost a month ago against Ohio University, the Cavaliers will look to make a statement win against the Irish (11-4, 1-3 ACC). 

Last week, the Cavaliers were not able to make much happen against Pittsburgh, dropping the match in three straight sets. Freshman outside hitter Alex Spencer had a big match against the Panthers and led Virginia with 10 kills. Despite this, Virginia was unable to follow through on offense — only managing a hitting percentage of .175. 

Notre Dame, while also struggling to rack up wins in the ACC, had its first success — upsetting then-No. 21 Florida State in a five set victory on the road. Contributing to their win was a stifling defense that held the Seminoles to a season-low hitting percentage of .027 in the first set. 

A player to watch will be Notre Dame’s sophomore outside hitter Jemma Yeadon, who not only led the Irish against Florida State with 24 kills over the match but also put up an exceptional defensive effort with five blocks. 

The Cavaliers will look to reclaim their season 7 p.m. Friday at Memorial Gymnasium. 

— John Garza