A taste of the Big Apple comes to Charlottesville

Pokee — the little blue food truck in the Amphitheater

<p>Pokee’s nourishing poke bowls come in three different sizes to satisfy your hunger.</p>

Pokee’s nourishing poke bowls come in three different sizes to satisfy your hunger.

This semester, I have a class from 3:30 p.m. to 4:45 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays, and I have to physically drag myself there every time. That part of the day is prime nap-time, and I rarely have the energy to make it through without zoning out several times. On my way there, I have continually noticed a small but eye-catching food truck near the Amphitheater. It seems to stay there even after all the others have left for the day.

This royal blue food truck is Pokee, and I decided to try it for dinner after my class. The first distinct fact about it is that unlike other food trucks, Pokee is open for dinner. Their weekday hours are around 1:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m., but they will likely serve you earlier if they are already set up. This is perfect if you have class during lunch hours but are looking for something different to try in the evenings.

Pokee’s nourishing poke bowls come in three different sizes to satisfy your hunger. They have a snack size that comes served in a cup and two bowls — a small and a large. They offer a set menu of five bowls centered around your choice of protein — tuna, salmon, tofu or curry chicken. You can customize the ingredients to your liking and you can also choose your base. They offer traditional sushi rice, a multigrain rice mix or mixed greens, if you are feeling extra healthy.

I decided to order the Rainbow Salmon bowl with multigrain rice. This bowl includes edamame, cucumber, pineapple, salmon and crab salad. At first I was skeptical of the crab salad because the dish tends to be heavily mayonnaise-based, which I don’t enjoy. However, Pokee’s crab salad was not what I was expecting. It was neither heavy nor mayonnaise-y and complimented the rest of the bowl perfectly. The salmon was fresh, and all of the ingredients worked together to make a tasty and filling dinner. The rice was my favorite part, and there was a lightly sweet and citrusy ponzu sauce mixed throughout the rice that added to the overall experience of the bowl.

Pokee is connected with a restaurant based in New York. The kind server at our local Pokee truck mentioned that they will be opening up a storefront here in Charlottesville in the near future. 

In the meantime, if you are craving a poke bowl after a long day of class, Pokee is both convenient and quick. They take Plus Dollars, credit and debit cards and provide you with a tasty bowl — or cup — of poke in no time at all right here on Grounds. Their logo is “Aloha in Every Bite,” and I would agree.