Kyle Guy leads basketball past VCU

<p>Sophomore guard Kyle Guy scored a career-high 29 points in Virginia's road win over VCU.&nbsp;</p>

Sophomore guard Kyle Guy scored a career-high 29 points in Virginia's road win over VCU. 

The Virginia basketball team got a tough challenge from in-state rival VCU on the road Friday, but a solid all-around performance allowed the Cavaliers to escape the Siegel Center with a well-deserved 76-67 victory.

Virginia was carried by a stellar performance from sophomore guard Kyle Guy, who dropped a career-high 29 points against the Rams. The sophomore hit five of his nine tries from beyond the arc, including some big threes down the stretch. Guy also performed exceptionally well on on defense with a game-high four steals. 

Virginia sophomore guard Ty Jerome added 13 points and seven assists, while Virginia senior forward Isaiah Wilkins put up eight points and eight rebounds.

The Rams hung with the Cavaliers until the very end with an aggressive offensive attack that forced the Cavaliers to play at a faster pace than they are accustomed to. VCU gave Virginia some trouble in the second half with some big three-pointers, coming within two points of tying the game with eight minutes left. Up three after the final media timeout, Guy and Jerome made huge three-pointers to cement Virginia’s lead and forced the Rams to start fouling. 

Sophomore forward Issac Vann led VCU with 19 points off the bench, and VCU senior guard Jonathan Williams chipped in 14 points.

The Cavaliers return to action Sunday when they take on another tough mid-major opponent in Monmouth. Tip off is set for 1 p.m. at John Paul Jones Arena.