Women’s basketball falls in tight battle against No. 15 Maryland, 60-59

<p>Virginia sophomore guard Dominique Toussaint finished with a team-high 18 points in the Cavaliers' losing effort against Maryland.</p>

Virginia sophomore guard Dominique Toussaint finished with a team-high 18 points in the Cavaliers' losing effort against Maryland.

The last time the Virginia women’s basketball team faced off against Maryland was in the 2013-14 season, upsetting them 86-72 in what was one of Virginia’s biggest wins that season. At the time, Maryland was ranked No. 6 and had their sights set on a national championship. Little did they know, Virginia showed up to play and made sure they would not be overlooked. 

Tonight, a similar situation nearly occurred, as a last-second missed layup by Virginia’s sophomore guard Jocelyn Willoughby prevented Virginia (3-5, 0-0 ACC) from completing another upset as the Cavaliers fell to No. 15 Maryland (6-2, 0-0 Big Ten), 60-59. 

However, Virginia displayed grit and tenacity throughout the game, showing the ACC and nation that it has the talent to compete against ranked teams.

Sophomore guard Dominique Toussaint was dominant, finding driving lanes and hitting three-point shots to get her team out of a nine-point hole at halftime. She finished with 18 points and hit 40 percent of her three-point shots.

The bench was also fantastic, headed by the duo of senior guard J’Kyra Brown and sophomore center Felicia Aiyeotan. They combined for 21 points, seven rebounds and six blocks. The six blocks all came from Aiyeotan, who kept the Terrapins in check all night, guarding the paint with ease and grabbing key rebounds for Virginia.

The team’s next game is at home against UNC Greensboro on Dec. 2.