Attempted burglary reported on Virginia Avenue

Incident is one of several reported off-Grounds break-ins this past semester

<p>The reported incident is one of several break-ins reported at off-Grounds housing locations this school year.</p>

The reported incident is one of several break-ins reported at off-Grounds housing locations this school year.

An attempted burglary on Virginia Avenue was reported to University Police early Thursday morning. In a University wide email alert issued by University Chief of Police Michael Gibson, the incident took place between 2 a.m. and 2:50 a.m.

According to the email, the suspect entered the residence by opening and climbing through a kitchen window. The suspect later fled the scene on foot following a confrontation between himself and the victim and could not be located after a search of the immediate area. 

The suspect is described to be a “male dressed in all black.” No other physical descriptors were reported.

The reported incident is one of several break-ins reported at off-Grounds housing locations this school year, including a burglary at University Gardens and a sexual assault on Shamrock Road. 

Attempted break-ins reported at on-Grounds housing locations include a combined burglary and motor vehicle theft at the Copeley Hill Apartments and a suspicious person in a McCormick Road residence hall. It is unclear if any of these incidents are related. 

Additional information regarding this incident should be reported to the University Police Department at 434-924-7166 or Crime Stoppers at 434-977-4000.