What I’ll miss when the American bubble pops

Back to rurality

Three months ago, I packed my life into one ridiculously-large suitcase, wept goodbye to my family and dogs and began my 12-hour journey to America. I cheerfully waved goodbye to the rainy, English weather passing by my airplane window and settled into my new life as a student in sunny Virginia. Every day since then has been a new experience — a life full of sports games, frat parties and — less fortunately — a considerable amount of work. With Christmas break fast approaching, I’m now realizing that I’ll be experiencing reverse culture shock when I return to my small village in the countryside, after adapting to an American way of life.

Initially, I assumed that I would be desperate to go back to England, as four months is the longest I’ve ever spent away from home. But a small part of me has found a home here at the University. Of course, I can’t wait to see my family and friends, but they won’t completely understand the life I have here. They won’t understand the pull of The White Spot or Christian’s after a night out at Trinity. They won’t understand the beauty of the Rotunda, or the mixture of school pride and shame that accompanies your hangover the morning after streaking the Lawn in one of the University’s greatest traditions. Perhaps they won’t understand how this school has changed me. But I’ll do my best to explain my love for the University and show them this list of the biggest things I’ll miss about living in Virginia.

Independence

Sure, I may not have seen the inside of the laundry room in a substantial amount of time and I may have eaten pasta for 10 days straight and washed it down with some questionable milk. But, living on my own gives me the responsibility I always craved while growing up. As desperate as I am for my mother’s cooking and the amazing technology that is a dishwasher, relinquishing control of my life is something I — and most other students — am hesitant to do.

School Spirit

Leaving the Cavalier community for a month is an upsetting thought — no longer will I be able to chant the Good Ol’ Song along with hundreds of other Hoos at American football games or spot a University student in the middle of Washington, D.C. as they sport a Cavalier sticker on their car. I can already expect to be spending Christmas Day watching repeats of the Hoolywed Game on YouTube and wishing I was back on Grounds.

Southern Hospitality

With the bitter winters of England, it’s likely that I won’t see anyone outside of my family for a considerable amount of time. I’ll long for the days when strangers would strike up a conversation about my accent in the middle of 7-Eleven or stop me in the street and ask for fashion advice — yellow trainers or blue pumps to a Fall Out Boy concert?

My Friends

Despite the overwhelming worries I had before I left, what if I don’t make any friends when I return to Grounds? What if they hate the English girl? What if the only conversation I have for four months is with Thomas Jefferson’s statue? I have met so many incredible people from all around the world — the Netherlands, Italy, Germany, Australia and so many more countries. I’ll be back in January, but a lot of my new friends won’t be — another reason why I don’t want this semester to end.

Going back to England means rain, dog walks and thinking about my future after my year abroad. Returning to a familiar place after living in a foreign one for this long will no doubt take some adjustment. Everyday won’t be a new adventure like it has been for the past few months, but perhaps it will be a well-needed break. For now, I’m counting myself lucky that I found a community and a home here, and I know that the University will still be waiting for me when my plane touches down back in Charlottesville next year.