White nationalist Christopher Cantwell released from jail on bond

Cantwell released on $25,000 bond following his arrest from August 11th torch-lit rally

<p>Cantwell turned himself in to the Lynchburg Police Department on Aug. 23.&nbsp;</p>

Cantwell turned himself in to the Lynchburg Police Department on Aug. 23. 

White nationalist Christopher Cantwell was released from the Albemarle Charlottesville Regional Jail Dec. 7 on a $25,000 bond. With his release, Cantwell is ordered to wear a monitoring device at all times and is restrained from possessing any kind of firearm.

Cantwell turned himself into the Lynchburg Police Department Aug. 23 after the University Police Department acquired arrest warrants following his unauthorized use of pepper spray on counter-protesters during the Aug. 11 torch-lit rally on Grounds. Cantwell was charged with two counts of illegal use of tear gas, as well as a charge for malicious bodily injury through means of a caustic substance or agent. 

Cantwell was initially denied bond, yet Albemarle County set his bond at $25,000 towards the end of August.

Cantwell gained national recognition after appearing in a VICE News Tonight documentary, in which he was seen protesting with other white nationalists at the August 12 ‘Unite the Right’ rally.

While in jail, Cantwell hosted his own internet radio show that helped him remain in communication with his followers. In a recent podcast he asked for donations from his listeners to help pay his legal fees. The regional jail superintendent previously told The Cavalier Daily that Cantwell’s show did not violate the prison's rules, and didn't elicit any rioting within the jail facilities.

His next court appearance is scheduled for Feb. 12, 2018.