Women’s basketball defeats Ohio, 77-59

<p>Sophomore center Felicia Aiyeotan picked up a double-double with 10 points and 14 rebounds against Ohio Sunday afternoon.</p>

Sophomore center Felicia Aiyeotan picked up a double-double with 10 points and 14 rebounds against Ohio Sunday afternoon.

Virginia escaped the Charlottesville weather, heading to Florida to face off against Ohio in the West Palm Invitational. They walked away from the first round with an impressive 77-59 victory.

The Cavaliers (5-6) came off an extended 13-day break for final exams after falling to Rutgers in their last contest. They did not get off to the intended start, giving up six first-quarter three-point makes to the Bobcats (5-4). 

After one quarter, Virginia found themselves in a 28-19 hole. 

Sophomore center Felicia Aiyeotan has been playing up to her massive potential in recent contests, grabbing 11 rebounds and adding four blocks in their last game. She continued to grow in the second quarter against Ohio, helping her team get off to a quick 10-1 run to tie the game back up at 29 all. 

Utilizing a fantastic second quarter, the Cavaliers jumped out to a 35-34 halftime lead over the Bobcats. Sophomore guard Dominique Toussaint led the team in scoring, heading into the locker room with 10 points. 

A huge part of the comeback was due to Virginia’s ability to control the glass. Aiyeotan provides a huge advantage at 6’9” and the Cavaliers got out to a 29-10 rebounding edge at half. 

Virginia continued their dominant play into the third quarter, going on a 21-0 run to take a commanding 60-42 lead after three.

Senior guard Aliyah Huland El scored a team high 17 points and Aiyeotan picked up a double-double with 10 points and 14 rebounds as the Cavaliers picked up a much-needed 77-59 victory over Ohio.

The team does not get a moment to rest, playing tomorrow against Indiana at noon in the second round of the West Palm Invitational.