No. 6 men’s lacrosse cruises by High Point after slow start, 18-12

<p>Sophomore attackman Michael Kraus led the comeback win at High Point on Tuesday, putting up five goals and two assists.&nbsp;</p>

Sophomore attackman Michael Kraus led the comeback win at High Point on Tuesday, putting up five goals and two assists. 

The No. 6 Virginia men’s lacrosse team dominated High Point on the road Tuesday night, overcoming a rough start to come up with a big win in a high-paced, offensive battle.

Things started off rough for the Cavaliers (3-0), as High Point advanced to a 5-2 lead. A goalie switch proved key, as Coach Lars Tiffany inserted freshman Alex Rode into the game. Everything was up for Virginia from there, as they went on a 5-1 run to hand them their first lead at 7-6 in the second quarter.

After halftime, Virginia began to lock down defensively, allowing only three goals in the second half, which they won 9-3.

Virginia’s young attacking talent proved to be huge against High Point, with sophomore attacker Michael Kraus leading the way with five goals and two assists and freshman Ian Laviano building upon his five-goal explosion against Loyola with four more — bringing his season total to nine.

Sophomore midfielder Dox Aitken, whose late-game heroics against Loyola propelled the Cavaliers to a double-overtime victory, also added three goals on the night.

Another key performer was by Rode, who came up with 11 saves on the night after replacing sophomore Griffin Thompson midway through the first quarter.

This was another key win for Virginia that proves yet again the team’s ability to come back from big deficits — a testament to the run-and-gun style that Coach Lars Tiffany preaches. The Cavaliers’ next test will be at home against No. 18 Princeton, who started the season with a win against Monmouth.