Weekend Previews: Feb.23-25

‘The Skinny’ on weekend action for baseball and men’s squash

<p>Junior infielder Andy Weber currently has a .389 batting average.</p>

Junior infielder Andy Weber currently has a .389 batting average.

Baseball

What: No. 17 Virginia vs. Eastern Kentucky

Where: Davenport Field at Disharoon Park, Charlottesville, VA
When: Friday, 3 p.m, Saturday & Sunday, 1 p.m.

The Skinny: The No. 17 Virginia baseball team will play a three-game series at home against Eastern Kentucky this weekend, Feb. 23-25.

Junior left-handed pitcher Daniel Lynch, senior right-handed pitcher Derek Casey and junior right-handed pitcher Evan Sperling will likely start the three games on the mound for Virginia (2-2, 0-0 ACC).

The Cavaliers lost their home opener on Tuesday against VMI (2-2, 0-0 Big South) by a score of 9-4. Against VMI, Virginia gave up six runs in the top of the first inning. Freshman relief pitchers Blake Rohm and Kyle Whitten went on to pitch 4.1 innings scoreless out of the bullpen, but it was not enough as VMI had 12 hits and 10 walks.

Senior catcher Caleb Knight went 3-4 with a double and 2 RBIs for the Cavaliers.

This was the first game played at the newly renovated and renamed Davenport Field at Disharoon Park. The stadium was expanded over the offseason and Tuesday had its name changed from Davenport Field to Davenport Field at Disharoon Park in honor of donors Leslie and Ann Disharoon, pending approval from the Board of VIsitors.

The series against Eastern Kentucky  (0-4, 0-0 OVC) will begin at 3 p.m. on Friday from Davenport Field at Disharoon Park.

Compiled by Colin Cantwell

Men’s squash

Who: No. 14 Virginia vs. No. 9 Yale, No. 10 George Washington, No. 11 Western Ontario, No. 12 Drexel, No. 13 Brown, No. 15 Cornell and No. 16 Navy

What: Hoehn Cup at CSA National Team Championships  in Hartford, Conn.

When: Friday-Sunday

The Skinny: The Virginia men’s squash team travels to Trinity College in Hartford, Conn. for the CSA National Championships this weekend, wrapping up its inaugural Division I season. The Cavaliers enter the tournament ranked No. 14 in the country. The Cavaliers will participate in the Hoehn Cup — the B division of the CSA National Championships that features the No. 9-16 teams.

The Cavaliers (14-6) will first play No. 11 Western Ontario Friday. Virginia will be entering Friday’s matches with some real momentum, as they are coming off a 4-0 showing against four separate schools in the U.Va. Round Robin Invitational held Feb. 3. The team can also be encouraged by a 3-1 record playing at neutral sites.

Virginia will also take on No. 9 Yale, No. 10 George Washington, No. 12 Drexel, No. 13 Brown, No. 15 Cornell and No. 16 Navy this weekend.

The team is 14-6 up to this point. A strong showing this weekend would serve as an encouraging exclamation point to the team’s first season as a Division I program, but regardless of the outcome it has been an exciting season for Virginia men’s squash.

Compiled by Charlie Lotane