Weekend Previews: Feb. 3-4

‘The Skinny’ on weekend action for wrestling, men’s and women’s squash

<p>Redshirt freshman Louie Hayes will try to lead his team to victory over Duke Saturday.</p>

Redshirt freshman Louie Hayes will try to lead his team to victory over Duke Saturday.

Wrestling

What: Virginia vs. Duke

Where: Cameron Indoor Stadium, Durham, N.C.

When: Saturday at 2 p.m.

The Skinny: Virginia wrestling (4-7, 0-2 ACC) completes its three-game road trip with a match against the Duke Blue Devils (4-5, 0-2 ACC), as both teams look to pick up their first conference win.

Virginia can carry momentum from its victory at Old Dominion Sunday into this match, as the Cavaliers now move on to focus solely on conference play. Against the Monarchs, Virginia dominated all facets of the match, winning seven out of ten weight classes by a score of 25-10.

Virginia, inconsistent up to this point, will attempt to use this key conference battle to bolster their confidence for the remainder of ACC play. While their two star-studded youngsters, redshirt freshman Louie Hayes and sophomore Jack Mueller, have consistently dismantled competition, the Cavaliers will need other wrestlers to step up this Saturday to boost Virginia to victory.

Duke has a strong lineup despite its poor record, and fell by only five points to No. 10 Virginia Tech last Saturday. The Finesilver brothers, both nationally ranked, should challenge the Cavaliers.

Saturday will determine if Virginia can post a complete performance in a hostile road environment.

— Compiled by Zach Zamof

Squash 

What: Virginia Round Robin Invitational

Where: McArthur Squash Center

When: Saturday — Sunday

THE SKINNY: Both Virginia squash teams return to action at the McArthur Squash Center for the Virginia Round Robin Invitational.

The No. 12 women’s team (7-8) has five matches on the weekend. On Saturday, Virginia will face No. 46 UNC, No. 33 Boston College and No. 35 Fordham. On Sunday, the team will take on No. 44 California and No. 40 Johns Hopkins. The Cavaliers are coming off of a successful trip to Massachusetts, where they went 3-1 with all three wins coming against top-25 squads. 

The No. 14 men (10-6) will face No. 41 Boston College, No. 42 Duke and No. 56 North Carolina Saturday, before taking on Vanderbilt on Sunday. The North Carolina match will be a rematch of a November contest in which Virginia won in decisive 9-0 fashion. The weekend will provide the Cavaliers and opportunity to build on their season-high five game winning streak.

This weekend will host the last matches for both teams before the College Squash Association National Championships in Hartford, Ct. and Cambridge, Mass. for the men and women, respectively.

— Compiled by Charlie Lotane