No. 21 baseball wins two-of-three against Boston College

Cavaliers scored three runs in 10th inning to win Sunday

<p>Junior pitcher Evan Sperling had five strikeouts in Sunday's game against Boston College.</p>

Junior pitcher Evan Sperling had five strikeouts in Sunday's game against Boston College.

The No. 21 Virginia baseball team won two out of three games at home against Boston College this past weekend.

Sunday’s game went into extra innings, and the Cavaliers (12-7, 3-3 ACC) scored three runs in the bottom of the 10th to win 10-9. Senior left fielder Charlie Cody drove in the winning run with a sacrifice fly to right field to score senior third baseman Justin Novak.

The Cavaliers lost the series opener Friday, by a score of 6-2. Boston College (7-10, 2-4 ACC) starting pitcher Jacob Stevens, a junior right-handed pitcher, only surrendered one run in seven innings of work. Junior second baseman Andy Weber drove in that one run with a triple in the third inning, one of his three hits in that game.

Senior right-handed pitcher Derek Casey, the Virginia starter Friday, went six and two-thirds innings, giving up four runs — three for which he was charged. 

The Cavaliers evened the series with a 7-3 victory Saturday. Virginia scored five runs in the seventh inning to take a 7-0 lead.

Junior left-handed pitcher Daniel Lynch struck out a career-high 11 batters, surrendering only four hits and zero runs in seven and two-thirds innings pitched. Lynch has not allowed a run in 15 and two-thirds innings.

Sunday’s game was tied at seven apiece at the end of nine innings. Weber had three hits for the second time in the series, including a two-run single in the 10th that scored freshman shortstop Tanner Morris and freshman center fielder Devin Ortiz to tie the game at nine.

Junior first baseman Nate Eikhoff hit a solo home run in the second inning to extend his hitting streak to 15 games. Eikhoff has reached base in all 20 games this season.

Virginia next plays Tuesday at home against Towson. The game begins at 4:00 p.m. at Davenport Field at Disharoon Park.