Men's tennis falls to Virginia Tech, 4-3

Cavaliers suffer heartbreaker in Blacksburg

<p>Freshman Matthew Lord recorded a win at court No.5 with a score of 6-3, 6-7 (2), 6-3.&nbsp;</p>

Freshman Matthew Lord recorded a win at court No.5 with a score of 6-3, 6-7 (2), 6-3. 

The Virginia men’s tennis team ended its regular season in gut-wrenching fashion this Sunday, losing to in-state rival Virginia Tech in a close battle that came down to a tiebreaker on court No. 3. 

Virginia (12-11, 5-7 ACC) lost the doubles point with losses on courts No. 1 and 2, which included an upset of the No. 43 team of freshman Matthew Lord and sophomore Carl Söderlund. Söderlund also lost his singles match, causing an uncommon shutout for the sophomore. However, things looked to be turning around for the Cavaliers after wins on courts No. 4, No. 5 and No. 6 put Virginia up to a 3-2 overall lead. All three of these matches were won by freshmen, with Lord, Ammar Alhaqbani and Kyrylo Tsygura showing off the true depth of Virginia’s youngest class.

A pair of three set losses on courts No. 2 and No. 3 ended the match in favor of Virginia Tech (17-6, 7-5 ACC) in heartbreaking fashion. After freshman Gianni Ross fell on court No. 2, junior Aswin Lizen was forced to decide the match. He had just won the second set 6-2, but was only able to force a tiebreaker with Virginia Tech’s sophomore Alexandre Ribeiro rallying in the third set. Ribeiro took the tiebreaker 7-4, ending the match and Virginia’s regular season. 

The Cavaliers will next head to Cary, N.C. to begin ACC tournament play as the No. 9 seed. They will face the No. 8-seeded Louisville Thursday.