No. 6 women’s lacrosse falls 15-8 in a battle against No. 2 Maryland

The Cavaliers held close, but were overwhelmed late in the second half

<p>Junior attacker Avery Shoemaker scored two goals in Virginia's loss Wednesday night.</p>

Junior attacker Avery Shoemaker scored two goals in Virginia's loss Wednesday night.

The No. 6 women’s lacrosse team fell 15-8 Wednesday to No. 2 Maryland, the defending champion. With the win, Maryland (11-1, 2-0 Big Ten) continues its home winning that extends back to March 10, 2012.

The beginning of the game was defined by tight defense from both sides and the score stood 1-1 halfway through the first half. Both teams were fighting strong winds all night but it was Maryland who pulled away for a 9-5 halftime lead in the final minutes of the first.

With Maryland in the lead, Virginia (8-4, 3-2 ACC) came out in the second half looking motivated. The Cavaliers seized control of the momentum and pulled within one with 20 minutes to go. The Terrapins did not panic, however, broke a 17 minute scoreless drought and did not look back. The team would dominate the final portion of the game, scoring six goals unanswered as the wind was knocked out of the sails of Virginia’s comeback attempt. 

Maryland senior attacker Megan Whittle — who came into the game with the fourth most goals in the country, led the way for Maryland scoring five goals — while sophomore attacker Kali Hartshorn contributed four goals and an assist. Virginia senior and freshman midfielders — Kasey Behr and Chloe Jones, respectively — scored two goals each for Virginia as did attacker and leading goal scorer junior Avery Shoemaker. 

Looking ahead, Virginia has a game this Saturday at home against No. 19 Penn State (8-4, 3-0 Big Ten). This marks the third-straight game against a ranked opponent. But after facing top three teams in the past two games, Penn State is almost a reprieve in comparison. The Cavaliers are 8-1 against opponents behind them in the rankings with the sole loss coming in overtime to No. 9 Loyola Maryland (8-2, 4-0 Patriot League). Opening draw will be at 1 p.m. at Klöckner Stadium.