Baseball wins series against Georgia Tech, loses to Richmond in home finale

Lynch strikes out 13 Sunday

<p>Junior left-handed pitcher Daniel Lynch threw seven innings with a career-high 13 strikeouts — the most by a Cavalier pitcher since 2015.</p>

Junior left-handed pitcher Daniel Lynch threw seven innings with a career-high 13 strikeouts — the most by a Cavalier pitcher since 2015.

The Virginia baseball team won two of three games against Georgia Tech in its final home series of the season. 

On Friday, the Cavaliers (27-22, 10-16 ACC) scored six runs in the bottom of the fifth inning en route to an 8-6 victory.

Senior right-handed pitcher Derek Casey had a no-hitter entering the top of the fifth before surrendering a solo home run to Georgia Tech sophomore shortstop Austin Wilhite — the Yellow Jackets’ first hit of the game.

Junior second baseman Andy Weber drove in three runs on Friday, including an RBI triple in the fifth to score freshman shortstop Tanner Morris, who had four hits in the game. Junior catcher Cameron Comer homered to right field to cap Virginia’s six-run inning by putting the Cavaliers up 7-1.

Georgia Tech sophomore lefthander Connor Thomas pitched a complete game Saturday to help the Yellow Jackets beat Virginia 5-1 on Senior Day at Davenport Field at Disharoon Park. 

Thomas also had a no-hitter entering the fifth, which was broken up by a two-out single by Virginia senior third baseman Justin Novak. Thomas did not give up an earned run in the contest.

Virginia’s only run was scored by Comer, who had reached base on an error. He was driven in by a two-out single from Morris.

Sunday’s game was delayed until 9:30 p.m. from its originally scheduled 7 p.m. first pitch due to thunderstorms in Charlottesville that day, but Virginia went on to win 8-4 in its final ACC home game of the season.

Junior left-handed pitcher Daniel Lynch threw for seven innings with a career-high 13 strikeouts — the most by a Cavalier pitcher since 2015. Lynch has struck out 10 or more batters in five outings this season.

Junior center fielder Jake McCarthy, who was expected to be a key player for the Cavaliers entering the season, made his first appearance since suffering a left wrist injury on March 6 against Davidson. McCarthy started the game and went two-for-three with an RBI.

Freshman right fielder Alex Tappen went three-for-four, scoring four runs and driving in three more. Tappen hit his third home run of the season as well as his first career triple.

On Tuesday, Virginia lost to Richmond 11-3 in its final home match of the season. Scoring the first 11 runs of the game, the Spiders forced the Cavaliers to use six pitchers in nine innings of play.

The Cavaliers will finish the regular season with a series at Wake Forest in Winston-Salem, N.C. The first pitch is scheduled for 6 p.m. Thursday.