Getting ready for the summer

I am nostalgic and relieved, but ready for opportunities

As we approach the semester’s finale, it’s easy to get lost in the stress of finals and the potential sadness of leaving the University for a lengthy three months. Clem late nights may not the most conducive environment for healthy forward thinking, but still I ask you, at least for the duration of this article, to take a moment to ponder your plans for this upcoming summer.

Whether you’re shocked at the seemingly premature arrival of the year’s most beloved season, or welcoming its return with open arms, summer is imminent — and it’s time to plan accordingly. Returning home after a year at the University last May was an overwhelming experience for me personally. Naturally, there were times where I was extremely appreciative to be back with my family and friends, but other times where I felt stuck and complacent. Life at home can be great, but it is important to avoid falling into the predictable monotony of what your home life used to be. 

With three whole months off from school, there is a real opportunity to take advantage of summer as more than the yearly occurrence of better weather and leisure time. Thus, I challenge you to see this upcoming summer as an opportunity to be productive. Whether it’s gaining your first work experience via an internship, making money at a traditional summer job or picking up a new hobby, do your best this year to not let the summer slip away.  

This summer, I will be lucky enough to be spending a month in Charlottesville taking a class I should have already taken. So this brings me to my first #summerplans idea. Get ahead on your classes! As an econ major who has only taken two econ classes thus far, it’s probably about time for me to get on top of my academics. If you’re behind or even considering getting ahead — what a concept amiright — think about spending a little extra time in Charlottesville this summer taking a class you may not have time to take in the future. 

Pick up a new hobby! Now this one is tough. Over the course of the semester, we’ve all felt pressed for time. Sometimes it feels like the hours between Monday and Thursday are only sufficient to focus on school, occasionally eating, occasionally sleeping and maybe making a trip to the gym if you’re lucky. Been thinking about picking up an instrument? Considering a new sport to try? Looking to impress your parents by finally being the independent individual they’ve always been asking you to be? Well, what better time than now to learn how to cook?

My entire life, I’ve dreamed of how cool it would be to play the guitar. I’m hoping this summer is my time to finally take up the attractive hobby. Our recently formed SAE/Charlottesville jam band, Sunday Gravity, has inspired me to really consider this opportunity. I have a guitar, mobile fingers and working ears, so what’s stopping me? Now that’s the right mindset! The abundance of free time that we’ll have — hopefully — can be made extremely useful with a productive mindset. For this reason I encourage you to break the potential monotony of being home by trying something new.

To address the elephant in the room, I am also extremely antsy for the return to outdoorsy activities. Summertime is for football-tossing, spikeball-spiking, wiffle-ball-playing, dog-walking, picnic-having, fresh-air-breathing, sunglasses-wearing kind of people! The possibilities really are endless, and when it’s 80 degrees Fahrenheit and sunny, I guarantee that most of us are just itching to get out of the classroom and into the sun for some playful exercise. So, whether you’re from the North or South, East Coast or West Coast, United States or elsewhere, don’t spend this summer twiddling your thumbs inside or waiting idly for school to return. Try to better yourself and upon your return to Charlottesville, you’ll have something new to show off and impress your friends with.  

Jake Talarico is a Life Columnist for The Cavalier Daily. He can be reached at life@cavalierdaily.com