No. 14 men’s soccer to play Radford

Dike named ACC Offensive Player of the Week

<p>Virginia freshman forward Daryl Dike was honored as the ACC’s co-Offensive Player of the Week for his three goals in two matches last week.</p>

Virginia freshman forward Daryl Dike was honored as the ACC’s co-Offensive Player of the Week for his three goals in two matches last week.

The No. 14 Virginia men’s soccer team will close out their non-conference schedule against Radford at home Tuesday night.

Virginia (8-1-2, 3-1-1 ACC) freshman forward Daryl Dike was honored as the ACC’s co-Offensive Player of the Week for his three goals in two matches last week, including two against then-No. 5 Denver.

This week, Virginia freshman center back Aboubacar Keita garnered an accolade of his own, being named the top freshman in collegiate men’s soccer on TopDrawerSoccer.com’s midseason Top 100 freshmen list. Forward Cabrel Happi Kamseu was ranked 54th and Dike was ranked 77th on the same list. 

In the Cavaliers’ last match, the Cavaliers scored a season-high four goals against Clemson. Dike and Happi Kamseu each scored, along with freshman forward Daniel Steedman and junior wingback Robin Afamefuna, who scored the game-winner on a free kick early in the second half.

Cavalier sophomore winger Nathaniel Crofts had four assists last week, two in each match. He now leads Virginia in assists with five in total.

Last season, the Cavaliers lost 1-0 to Radford (5-6, 3-2 Big South) in Charlottesville — their first loss in 13 meetings against the Highlanders. Virginia was ranked No. 10 in the nation before that loss.

Radford freshman forward Amadou Macky Diop is the reigning Big South Offensive Player of the Week, as well. Diop scored twice against then-No. 16 Charlotte on Oct. 10, including a double-overtime game-winner.

The match will kick off at 7 p.m. at Klöckner Stadium.