Men’s basketball ‘running to the starting line of season’

Cavaliers are ready for another season of success

<p>Sophomore guard Kyle Guy returns as Virginia's leading returning scorer, and will look to take his game to another level to pace Virginia's offense.</p>

Sophomore guard Kyle Guy returns as Virginia's leading returning scorer, and will look to take his game to another level to pace Virginia's offense.

The overwhelming questions for Virginia men’s basketball in the build up to the 2018-19 season have been in regards to the infamous UMBC game. How can they respond to such a loss? What can be expected from the first No. 1 seed to lose to a No. 16 seed? Do the Cavaliers have what it takes to be considered a true top-team in the country?

Well, the Cavaliers seem eager to get back on the court and answer those questions with their play. 

“This is a new team this year, this is a different team,” Coach Tony Bennett said at the ACC Media Day in Charlotte, N.C. “And so many people want to say, ‘Well, okay, you’ve got to vindicate yourself or validate that’ ... [but] this is about us running to the starting line of the season and taking it absolutely as far as we can possibly go. And it’s about growing from last year’s unbelievable success and growing from last year’s very humbling loss.”

The humbling loss, of course, was when the Cavaliers shocked the nation by falling to UMBC, 74-54 in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. For a team that won the ACC regular season, the conference tournament and was the unanimous No. 1 seed of the tournament, it was far from how anyone expected Virginia to end its season.  

“For me, it’s never forgetting [the UMBC game] but definitely trying to move past it to where I’m not hanging my head on it,” junior guard Kyle Guy said at the Media Day. 

The Cavaliers have talked a lot about how to cope with the loss, and Bennett offered some advice about how to approach the season that really struck Guy. 

“[Bennett] said, ‘You know, courage is not the absence of fear, it’s moving forward in the face of fear’ and I think that’s something I’m going to hold onto for the rest of my life,” Guy said. 

Virginia will have a chance to display that courage and look to get another successful season underway when they host Towson on Nov. 6 for its season opener. 

“Every year you try to find ways that are unique to your team that give you a chance to be successful,” Bennett said.  

This year, the Cavaliers seem to have a lot of things that give them a chance to be successful. They have talent, experience, athleticism, leadership and a little extra fuel to rewrite people’s expectations of Virginia basketball. 

While the Cavaliers have lost program staples Devon Hall and Isaiah Wilkins, they still return plenty of experience. Senior center Jack Salt and junior guards Guy and Ty Jerome, were all starters last year and have amassed lots of minutes in the Virginia uniform. They know exactly what it takes to lift up a conference trophy, and they can guide the team to do it again. 

Salt, who was a captain last year alongside Hall and Wilkins, sets an example on defense — he plays with tenacity, and his 6-foot-10, 250-pound frame gives Virginia solid size inside. 

“Jack is so willing to come across and help and he’s so physical,” Bennett said. “Physicality is important defensively.” 

Also bringing a lot of experience for the Cavaliers is Guy, who has been one of the most lethal shooters the program has had. He was named to the NABC All-America Third Team, All-ACC First Team, All-ACC Tournament First Team and was the ACC Tournament MVP last year. He also hit 83 3-pointers in the 2017-18 season, which put him fifth in Virginia’s record books for three-pointers in a single season. 

“I’m a big proponent on expanding my game in all areas,” Guy said.  “I’m known for my ... jump shot, and I still try to make that as consistent as possible … [but also just trying to stay aggressive and make sure that, you know, I’m working on all areas.” 

This improvement is something Guy exemplified from his first season to his second, as he drove to the hoop more and added more physicality to his game in his sophomore year. 

“Whether it’s creating off the dribble for somebody else or for myself,” Guy said. “[And] defensively, anything, just always trying to hold myself accountable and get a little bit better each day.”

In the backcourt with Guy is Jerome. He has also the ability to be clutch from behind the three-point line, and he handles the ball with composure and comfort at the point. 

“He’s one of the best leaders in terms of vocalizing and communication,” Guy said of Jerome.

“He’s … tremendous to be in the backcourt with and we can finish each other’s sentences when we’re in the back court and I think that’s big that we have that chemistry. He’s probably one of the best point guards in the country.”  

Sophomore guard De’Andre Hunter — last year’s ACC Sixth Man of the Year — incites a lot of excitement and promise, as well. He ups the athleticism of this Virginia squad and has proved to be crucial for the team’s offensive success last season. 

Another athletic player for the Cavaliers will be junior transfer guard Braxton Key, who adds more depth to the team, with the possibility to play the three or four positions. He also has the experience of playing in big games from his two years with Alabama and could give Virginia the offensive bump they need inside. 

“I think he has a really good feel for the game,” Guy said of Key. “He’s really active on the rebounds and offensive rebounds, also. He’s a strong kid. He’s actually pretty athletic.”

Junior forward Mamadi Diakite will have responsibility in a similar role, adding some athleticism and mobility inside. Diakite has shown steady improvement throughout his years, and by the end of last season he demonstrated flashes of his potential. Sophomore forward Jay Huff and sophomore guard Marco Anthony could see increased roles this year, with Huff offering a lot of offensive promise, but leaving some questions about his defensive capabilities. 

“I think Mamadi is really athletic,” Salt said at the Media Day. “When he’s making strong moves he’s really hard to guard on the post, and then Jay can really stretch the floor out as a five-man, which has been too tough to guard in practice.”

With all of these components, the Cavaliers were picked as preseason No. 2 in the ACC and earned a No. 5 ranking in the AP Poll. 

“They’re better than people realize,” Bennett said of the players he has recruited to be on this Virginia team. “They’re really good players and they develop and they work and they love the game and they love to play together and they embrace the fact that … we’re Virginia and we’re still trying to knock on that door and do something as special as we can.” 

Virginia’s game against Towson is set for a 7 p.m. tip-off on Tuesday, Nov. 6, and is the first of a three-game homestand for the Cavaliers. After facing the Tigers, Virginia will host George Washington and Coppin State on Nov. 11 and Nov. 16, respectively.