Student Council approves creation of 10 new Contracted Independent Organizations

During the brief legislative session, the bill passed unanimously

Student Council Representative Body Chair Ellie Brassachio presided over the Tuesday meeting.

In a legislative session that Ellie Brasacchio, a third-year College student and chair of the Student Council Representative Body, called “the fastest one we’ve ever had,” Student Council representatives unanimously and without debate passed a bill to approve the creation of 10 new Contracted Independent Organizations during its general body meeting Tuesday evening. 

The bill was introduced by Ty Zirkle, a fourth-year College student and Student Council’s vice president for organizations, who recommended that the Representative Body vote to approve all 10 organizations. 

The 10 organizations that received CIO status were the Cavalier Analytics Club, Darden FinTech, Darden Racquet Club, Latino Medical Student Association, qMD, the Aerospace Medicine Club, the Darden Network of Executive Women, the Running Club at U.Va. School of Medicine, the Tikkun Olam Committee and Women in Chemical Engineering. 

No representatives from the organizations addressed the Representative Body about the bill.

The bill passed with a vote of 23 in favor and one abstention by proxy.