Norovirus outbreak confirmed at U.Va.

A University-wide announcement was made by Student Health Tuesday evening

<p>Contagious students will be “isolated for many days” and will not be allowed to participate in any University activities while they are sick.&nbsp;</p>

Contagious students will be “isolated for many days” and will not be allowed to participate in any University activities while they are sick. 

The U.Va. Department of Student Health announced in a University-wide email Tuesday evening that a norovirus outbreak has occurred at the University. 

Christopher Holstege, the executive director of the Department of Student Health and Wellness, said in the email that “cases of norovirus have been confirmed in the UVA student population” and described the illness as “highly contagious.” 

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, norovirus spreads rapidly and is common on university campuses. An individual can contract the disease by coming into direct contact with contaminated people, food, water or surfaces. 

Holstege said that contagious students will be “isolated for many days” and will not be allowed to participate in any University activities while they are sick. 

Holstege encouraged students in the email to call Student Health if an onset of symptoms occurs. Norovirus symptoms include nausea, diarrhea, an upset stomach and potential body aches. The symptoms can appear anywhere from 12 to 24 hours after an individual is exposed to the virus, and the virus can spread for up to two weeks, “after those with the virus are feeling better,” according to Holstege. 

Student Health did not immediately respond to a request for further comment. 

This is a developing story.