Former University police officer pleads guilty to assault

Bryant pleads guilty to felony assault, battery and obstruction of a 911 call after Jan. 2018 incident

<p>Initially charged with malicious wounding, Bryant’s charge was amended to assault and battery.&nbsp;</p>

Initially charged with malicious wounding, Bryant’s charge was amended to assault and battery. 

Former U.Va. police officer, Justin Eugene Bryant, 29, pleaded guilty to felony assault and battery in Albemarle County Circuit Court Jan. 30. 

Initially charged with malicious wounding, Bryant’s charge was amended to assault and battery. Bryant was also charged with and convicted of preventing a 911 call. 

Bryant was sentenced to 12 months in jail with six months suspended for the assault and battery charge as well as 12 months in jail — all 12 months suspended — for obstructing a call to law enforcement. Upon release, Bryant will serve one year of supervised probation for the assault charge and one year for preventing a 911 call. 

As a part of his plea agreement, Bryant must remain on good behavior for two years upon release — which includes not consuming alcohol or owning a firearm — and not have contact with the victim. 

According the the Daily Progress, Bryant assaulted his then-girlfriend on Jan. 26, 2018 after reading her text messages and accusing her of infidelity. The victim was left with two black eyes, a fractured nose and a concussion. When she attempted to contact law enforcement, Bryant took her phone and shoved her head into the wall. 

Bryant was arrested Feb. 6, 2018. When the University was made aware of his arrest on Feb. 8, Bryant was promptly placed on leave before his employment was terminated by the University.  

University Spokesperson Anthony de Bruyn said in an email to The Cavalier Daily that the University “has cooperated fully with the Albemarle County Police Department during its investigation.”