Women’s basketball defeats Duke 53-47

Cavaliers pick up back-to-back conference wins for first time this season

<p>Virginia junior small forward Jocelyn Willoughby posted a team-high 20 points Sunday.</p>

Virginia junior small forward Jocelyn Willoughby posted a team-high 20 points Sunday.

The Virginia women’s basketball team (10-14, 4-7 ACC) beat Duke (11-12, 3-8 ACC) 53-47 Sunday afternoon at John Paul Jones Arena. With the victory, the Cavaliers recorded back-to-back ACC wins for the first time this year.

Prior to Sunday, Virginia last beat Duke in 2000, and the Blue Devils had won 31 of the last 32 meetings.

Junior small forward Jocelyn Willoughby posted a game-leading 20 points for Virginia. Willoughby also tied with junior forward Lisa Jablonowski for the team lead in rebounds with 10 each. Sunday’s game was Jablonowski’s first double-digit rebounding performance in ACC play. 

Virginia led 9-7 at the end of the first quarter on a three-pointer by freshman guard Erica Martinsen with 39 seconds to go in the period. 

The two teams traded baskets throughout the second quarter, as Willoughby hit a three-pointer with 13 seconds to tie the game at 23, but Duke senior guard Faith Suggs made one at the other end to give the Blue Devils a three-point lead at halftime.

Duke took their largest lead of the game, 34-29, with 4:21 left in the third on a jumper by freshman guard Miela Goodchild. However, the Cavaliers then went on an 8-0 run to jump ahead 37-34 after Jablonowski’s second three-pointer of the season and a fastbreak finish from Willoughby.

Duke sophomore forward Jade Williams made a layup with five seconds to go in the third to close the gap to a point, and Duke eventually took the lead 42-41 on a layup by junior forward Leaonna Odom with 4:34 left to play.

Baskets from Virginia junior guard Dominique Toussaint, who scored 14 points, and Willoughby put the Cavaliers up by three, 45-42. Virginia then scored the rest of their points from the free throw line. Willoughby went 9-9 on free throws Sunday, including six in the final four minutes to seal the win for Virginia.

Virginia does not play again until next Sunday against North Carolina at Carmichael Arena at 3 p.m.