Women’s basketball falls at North Carolina, 70-53

Willoughby led the Cavaliers with 16 points and 10 rebounds

Freshman guard Erica Martinsen scored 13 points for Virginia Sunday afternoon.

The Virginia women’s basketball team (10-15, 4-8 ACC) lost 70-53 to North Carolina (16-11, 7-6 ACC) Sunday afternoon at Carmichael Arena in Chapel Hill.

Junior small forward Jocelyn Willoughby paced the Cavaliers with a team-high 16 points and 10 rebounds. Freshman guard Erica Martinsen scored 13 points, while junior guard Dominique Toussaint added 10. Willoughby’s double-double was her third straight and fourth in the last five games.

The Cavaliers trailed by as many as seven in the first quarter when North Carolina junior guard Taylor Koenen scored with 4:51 to play. However, Virginia came back to take the lead 20-19 on a three-pointer by Martinsen.

North Carolina recovered in the second as they started the quarter on a 15-4 run. A fastbreak layup by Koenen put the Tar Heels up by 12, 36-24, with 3:39 before halftime, but the Cavaliers cut the deficit to four points at the half on a layup by Willoughby.

The Tar Heels came out of the locker room on an 8-0 run to go back ahead by 12, a margin they held at the end of the third. North Carolina outscored Virginia 15-10 in the fourth quarter to win by 17 points.

With today’s loss, the Cavaliers have failed to win at Carmichael Arena since 2001. 

Virginia returns home to John Paul Jones Arena Thursday night to take on No. 2 Louisville — a team that beat the Cavaliers 91-43 on the road earlier in the season.