Week One: The attack of Kevin Ogletree

The NFL kicked off this past week, and began with a bang for former Virginia players.

In the first game of the regular season, 2008-graduate Kevin Ogletree racked up 114 yards on 8 receptions, including two TDs, to lead the Dallas Cowboys to a 24-17 win against the New York Giants. All three stats were career bests for Ogletree, who had never caught a touchdown pass or hauled in more than three receptions in a professional game.

Matt Schaub (’03) threw for 266 yards and one TD as his Houston Texans won 30-10 against the Miami Dolphins. He stands one score shy of 100 total career touchdown passes.

Heath Miller snatched four receptions for 50 yards and a touchdown, but his Pittsburgh Steelers fell to the Peyton Manning-led Denver Broncos Sunday Night. A 2004 graduate, Miller still owns many Virginia records at tight end and is one of only three unanimous All-Americans to ever come from the University.

Down in Tampa, Ronde Barber (‘96) proved that age is a meaningless number. In his 16th season in the NFL, Barber bullied Panther sensation Cam Newton for an interception and sack, while also recording five tackles in a 16-10 Buccaneer win. Barber switched to free safety this offseason after playing the last 15 seasons at cornerback for the Bucs. He owns NFL records for both sacks and consecutive starts by a cornerback, and is considered a strong candidate for the Hall of Fame when he finally retires.

Beyond football, Nationals third baseman Ryan Zimmerman has homered in each of his past three games and authored a 14-game hitting streak. Zimmerman has helped propel Washington to first in the NL East, batting .287 with 20 HRs and 80 RBIs.

In the NBA, Mike Scott signed a two-year deal with the Atlanta Hawks last week. He was taken by Atlanta in the second round of the NBA Draft in June.