In Translation

We are the roses

Morris: 'We are the roses‘

On Sunday night at the Chicago Bulls’ TBD United Center — home of NBA stars Derrick Rose, Jimmy Butler

and Pau Gasol — the Virginia men’s basketball team stormed out to a 14-point halftime lead against ACC

rival Syracuse in the NCAA tournament’s Midwest Regional final.

本周日在芝加哥公牛队的联合中心球馆,NBA篮球明星德里克罗斯, 吉米巴特勒和保罗加索尔的主场,弗吉尼亚大学男

The top-seeded Cavaliers might not have been cruising — All-American two-guard Malcolm Brogdon had

missed a few makeable shots, and Isaiah Wilkins hadn’t yet cracked the scoring column — but they were just

20 hardwood minutes from Houston, the site of this year’s Final Four.

Eleven seconds into Sunday’s latter 20, Virginia’s lead stood at 16 points. About five minutes later, Tyler

Lydon’s 3-pointer drew Syracuse within seven. And though London Perrantes gave the Cavaliers 54 points to

the Orange’s 39 with less than 10 minutes to play, Syracuse pushed back.

近到7分。尽管在下半场比赛还剩10分钟不到时,L. 佩雷特斯将骑士队与橙人队的比分定格在54:39,雪城大学还是成功完成

Twenty basketball minutes can dilate, stretch out and expand like a Spalding under the pump, and

sometimes seem so much longer than 20 minutes at your desk, in your kitchen, or at the store.

When the Orange started their 25-4 run, my mother asked me, “Are you nervous?” I said no, because I

wasn’t, because Virginia seemed too good a team to lose this game, and because it’s just basketball, right?

Right — but maybe also wrong. When Syracuse’s run didn’t flame out, I became fiery myself. I laughed in

disbelief, but I must also own up to yelling at the TV.

I wanted the Cavaliers to make the trip from Chicago to Houston, by bus or by jet, and if you are reading this

I’ll bet you wanted that, too. Chicago to Charlottesville is a homecoming, and homecomings can be sweet.

But this one feels premature.

There is a Powerade ad currently airing about the Bulls’ Rose — who grew up in Englewood community area

of Chicago, Ill. — and, more generally, about all of us. The ad borrows from 2Pac, who tells us, “We are the

roses; this is the concrete, and these are my damaged petals.” He’s talking about beauty in the midst of

adversity, how a rose — how each of us — can blossom despite our circumstances.

最近Powerade (一款运动饮料) 有一则广告正在播出,它和公牛队德里克罗斯有关,或者说更广的范围上,和我们都有关

But Virginia’s rose was still blooming, and now it’s been cut off at the stem. Roses bloom in Englewood, and

surely they bloom in Houston. But do roses bloom on the road from Chicago to Charlottesville, a road I’d

guess the Cavaliers were sad to travel?

I think the truth is that Virginia’s rose has been blooming for some time and won’t stop soon. I think the

truth is just like 2Pac says — “we are the roses.” The last 10 minutes Sunday — when Syracuse’s press

flustered and Malachi Richardson worked his magic — are just the latest bit of adversity.

Yes, the Cavaliers traveled east from Chicago when they might have gone south. And yes, the Midwest

Region had opened up — Virginia could hardly have had a better draw to Houston.