Club Sports

Club tennis places second in On Campus Invitational

The Virginia club tennis team cruised through the USTA Tennis On Campus Invitational until a familiar foe waited in the finals – Duke. The defending champion Cavaliers lost 26-23 in the tournament’s championship round, falling to the same Blue Devil team they topped in last year’s finals.

“We feel like we kind of have a friendly rivalry with Virginia,” Duke’s senior captain Stephanie Dudzinski said in a release. “We are both from different USTA sections but we tend to run into them a lot at these big events. I know our guys waited a full year for this match.”

Virginia crushed Colorado’s ‘A’ team, 27-12, in the morning’s semi-finals round but faced a 20-18 deficit entering the championship’s final portion, mixed doubles. Virginia captain Derek Gale and Faby Chaillo pushed the Blue Devils to a 5-5 tie in their match, but Duke ultimately captured the tiebreaker to clinch the win.

“We gave it all we had and came up a bit short,” Gale said. “It’s a tough one to lose, for sure. We got down a bit in doubles and could never recover. They are a solid team and we hope to see them again at Nationals.”

With the runner-up finish, Virginia receives an automatic bid to April’s 2013 USTA Tennis On Campus National Championship. The Cavaliers placed second in last season’s championship after losing to Cal-Berkley in the finals.