(RSS)   Fashion Fridays

Pajamas in public: an age-old question

Ladies and gentlemen of U.Va, your voice of reason has arrived. Fashion reason, that is. I’m the Fashion Jiminy Cricket you never knew you needed. I’m a normal person with an eye for the aesthetics of fashion. And the first item on my docket is the fashion degeneracy that are pajamas in public.

“Can I wear pajamas out of the house to class?”As a college student, you’ve probably asked yourself this question many times. I’m here to tell you that the answer is, in fact, no. The answer has always been no. The answer will forever be no. Pajamas, defined as anything you wore or could have worn to bed the night before, should never be worn in an academic setting. Waking up in the morning and not changing your clothes is simply unacceptable. This fashion faux pas is one of the most unforgivable, second only to wearing Crocs.

It’s simply good practice to look your best when venturing out into the real world. I will admit, however, that there are times in which you wake up late and have to run to class in whatever you’re wearing because you’ve used up all your absences — I stand guilty as charged. However, these days should be, at best, rare exceptions. You should never consciously decide to wear pajamas in public. It is just bad form.

Now, I know during finals insanity we all want to be comfortable while we study. But that is still no excuse for walking around in something you’ve slept in. We go to a prestigious institution. Grounds are gorgeous, the people are gorgeous — don’t ruin everything by wearing your old, nasty T-shirt with drool stains!

I’m not telling you that you have to be dressed to the nines. Guys, sweats are fine. Messy clothes are fine. Gals, leggings and T-shirts are fine. The only thing that is always 100 percent reprehensible is wearing PAJAMAS.

The ball’s in your court. Will you return every Friday for more sage advice? That, my friends, is a matter of taste. And we both know, in this area, I am the expert.

Posted in Fashion Fridays on February 27, 2014