Fashion Fridays

Harem pants: The next big thing

A new fashion trend is sweeping across the nation and, subsequently, Grounds. It’s harem pants. They are in no way new, but have become increasingly popular with male shoppers. If you have seen them around town, you might not be familiar with the name. Loose around the waist and form-fitting around the shin and ankle, harem pants are easily identifiable.

Though they originated in various countries throughout Asia, harem pants in their modern form

were popularized in the 1980s by rapper MC Hammer. Other celebrities who have sported the garment include the vile Justin Bieber, the forgettable PSY and Jay-Z. Needless to say, don’t let these celebrities discourage you from going out and getting a pair for yourself.

For me, these pants are a godsend — they're everything I could want to cover my body's lower half. They are loose up top, where I want room for my legs to breathe, and allow mobility in my lower legs. If I ever find myself in the mood for running or doing any sort of cardio activity, I am ready.

They come in all sorts of styles and patterns. Some have a more formal feel, while others are loose and casual. I made sure to purchase some for every occasion: studying late in the library, going grocery shopping, going to class and going to church. Not only are these pants universally acceptable, but they are also a great conversation starter. Now that you know what harem pants are, you can be the coolest person in the room. Everyone will be in awe of your superior fashion knowledge.

I cannot wait to see this phenomenon take off this fall. I predict the market for harem pants will begin to dramatically increase in the next year. Do yourself a favor and hop on this trend while it is still new and exciting, just like Silly Bandz were in 2010. Don’t be left behind in the tide of fashion stagnation — your legs will thank you.