Vices and Virtues: Biden vs. Ryan

Poor Biden is already behind. Ryan was more than correct! He and Romney understand how the Obama Administration represents America: as an apologetic country that’s afraid to take a stand against terrorism. It’s one thing to brag about getting Bin Laden, but another thing to call out a new terrorist attack when Obama’s in the driver’s seat. He’d rather say it’s America’s fault for a YouTube video, than call out what, from the beginning, was clearly a terrorist attack. -Sam Novack 9:13 p.m.

In 2010, Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said: “Sanctions cannot stop the Iranian nation. The Iranian nation is able to withstand the pressure of the United States and its allies.” Biden can laugh and say everything Ryan says is wrong and “malarkey”, but he is fast falling behind Paul Ryan, who is coming out swinging. President Obama’s approach has been weak and unclear – Netanyahu and Israel, and the rest of the free world, need the United States to show itself as strong, ready, and willing to attack Iran. -Sam Novack 9:20 p.m.

In response to the above post – from where I’m sitting, it seems like Paul Ryan was the one heavily endorsing said sanctions, whereas Biden was talking about the actual feasibility of Iran even taking the action that they’re threatening. As he said, “facts matter.” -Katherine Ripley 9:23 p.m.

Word to the wise, Vice President: laughing and smiling skyward are not real arguments. He is out of his league, politically and argumentatively. This is going to be a long hour and a half for Biden, President Obama, and the Democrats. -Sam Novack 9:23 p.m.

Citing the unemployment right of a single city doesn’t prove that the whole country is moving in the wrong direction, Paul Ryan. The national unemployment rate recently fell below 8 percent for the first time in a while. Let’s focus on the big picture. -Katherine Ripley 9:27 p.m.

This is turning into a “he said-he said” argument. “Our main supporter is a democrat”…“he said he no longer supports it.” What is even going on? This shouldn’t be a dispute of fact but rather a discussion of differing opinions on the important issues. This is for the voters, after all. -Katherine Ripley 9:42 p.m.

Our moderator started out better than the previous one, but she has since fallen into the same lame category. She is letting interruptions (almost entirely on Biden’s part) go unchallenged. You can say Biden is looking aggressive, but in all honesty, Ryan is the only one of the three on stage adhering to any kind of debate/common etiquette. -Sam Novack 9:43 p.m.

Bringing up the “47% comment” was a low blow, and not super professional, but Biden is right. Romney has endorsed policy ideas and used rhetoric that has disenfranchised millions of Americans.
I wish I could effectively fact-check during this debate…are Romney and Ryan really offering 500 billion dollars in tax cuts? Has the economy really only grown at 1.3% this year, and is that truly a smaller rate of growth than last year? If both of those statistics are legitimate, they are relevant and important.
Ryan’s story about Romney helping the car-crash victim and donating 30% of his income to charity was irrelevant. The argument is not whether Romney is a good GUY, but whether he will make a good President. Romney doesn’t need to look out for one person, he needs to look out for all people and the national economy.
Technically, Obama and Biden didn’t PASS the stimulus. It was initially Bush legislation. They did, however, renew it. Ryan asking for stimulus money during his time in Wisconsin is the same type of hypocrisy demonstrated by Romney. He passed “Obamacare” in Massachusetts and now opposes it as a Presidential candidate.
There absolutely shouldn’t be benefit cuts for current seniors, but private businesses should not be involved in a governmental program. Social Security does need reform, I agree with Ryan. But privatizing the program is NOT the only way to do that. As Biden rightly pointed out, the market can crash at any time. -Ashley Spinks 9:44 p.m.

This is pathetic. Now the moderator is attacking Ryan after letting Biden interrupt countless times. This is an appalling attempt to turn around a debate that, for the Democrats, smelled sour from the word go. -Sam Novack 9:51 p.m.

Democrats are going to say Ryan has made no different claims on how to address Syria, but it comes back to the fundamental difference between Obama/Biden and Romney/Ryan: the Republicans are willing and able to call a spade (Bashar al-Assad) a spade. They would not have taken a seat on their hands and equivocated while the situation got more and more out of control. -Sam Novack 10:18 p.m.

Ryan talks of the Obama administration infringing upon religious freedom, but to take away a woman’s right to choose would be to infringe upon her privacy and her liberty when it comes to her health. It is essential to preserve that right to choose, just as this country preserves each person’s right to worship in his or her private life. -Katherine Ripley 10:20 p.m.

Martha Raddatz (moderator) turned away a legitimate issue: religious liberty. This was just to get a quip in about abortion, which had already been addressed. Government-sponsered, and therefore TAX-sponsered, birth-control, contraceptives, and abortions are all violating the religious liberty of those paying those taxes. That is a real issue, and that was a real chance to discuss it, but Raddatz wanted to make a point for the left. Sad. -Sam Novack 10:26 p.m.

Well, that was entertaining to watch, but I don’t feel like I really learned anything. The fact checkers going nuts on Twitter were more informative. As one of my roommates said, after it was over, “That was a bunch of malarkey.” -Katherine Ripley 10:33 p.m.