(RSS)   Virginia Film Festival

Fat Kid Rules the World

Matthew Lillard (The Descendants, Scooby Doo) and Billy Campbell (The Rocketeer, Dracula) came along to the Newcomb Theatre to present Lillard’s directorial debut and Campbell’s role in Fat Kid Rules the World. Lillard’s energy and high spirits bring this story to life. After a rough life, obese high school teenager Troy (Jacob Wysocki) finds himself dragged along the mishaps of expelled band junkie Marcus (Matt O’Leary) after Marcus saves Troy from his suicide attempt. By the end, Troy is saving Marcus from his downward spiral. This film has a ton of heart, from the amazing performances of the actors to the truthful environment that Matthew Lillard created. Fat Kid Rules the World came from a lot of hard work and dedication on the part of Lillard to make and is one that everyone should see. From the first shot, you can tell that this film is a character in itself. Lillard and Campbell stayed long after the film ended to talk to basically every fan in the theatre, and his emanating energy made everyone feel like he truly loved the experience. I highly, highly recommend checking this film out when it comes to iTunes next week and on VOD. 5/5 stars. – Annie Wilmer

More from Virginia Film Festival

Posted in Virginia Film Festival on November 4, 2012

• Charles Mathewes said:

Patrick is a UVA graduate, by the way. Sherri was a terrific, funny, and warm human being, and the world is a more grey place without her.
    on U.Va. investment manager remembered for contributions

• Michael said:

No, UGuides got in trouble by forcing their people to drink ungodly amounts of alcohol. FYP doesn't ask their rollers to do anything dangerous at all ...
    on FYP roll offends students in Clemons

• ari said:

disappointing equivocations throughout this piece. putting "rape," "sexual objectification," "sex crimes," and "sexism" in a two minute read does not ...
    on The Cavalier Daily :: Treading water

• Bruno Hob said:

The main effect of the renovation, aside from needed electrical and mechanical upgrades,will be the removal of thousands of books from Alderman, as is ...
    on Library System plans Alderman renovation

• Elissa Botin said:

Isn't this a slight overreaction? I mean, this wasn't exactly a purely anti-semitic song...so a few people who weren't familiar with the play might have ...
    on FYP roll offends students in Clemons