(RSS)   Virginia Film Festival

Hello I Must Be Going

The performances of lead actors Melanie Lynskey and Christopher Abbott pull together the very tragically subtle story of Amy’s recent divorce and how she finds understanding through her relationship with nineteen-year-old Jeremy. The story in itself, while definitely offering a distinct look at both love and knowledge of the self, would not hold the strength that it does without the two leads, who bring humor in the most uncomfortably realistic of places. The film focuses especially on Amy, who had basically moved back in with her parents after her ex-husband cheated on her and then asked for a divorce. Her parents, however, were trying to find success in the rough economy by gaining the business of Jeremy’s stepfather, so when the two start to fall for each other, Amy finally finds herself in her mid-thirties and forced to learn to actually grow up. The story has strong, witty moments that contrast to the sad reality that is Amy’s life. I would recommend Hello, I Must Be Going because it has a voice of its own. 4/5 stars. – Annie Wilmer

More from Virginia Film Festival

Posted in Virginia Film Festival on November 3, 2012

• Sabrina No Source said:

Jackie lied about the rape to make Randall jealous. Why are editors of the student newspaper at Jefferson's university so afraid of the truth?
    on Students produce video thanking Jackie

• James Roberts said:

Falsely accusing others of assault is a crime. The fallout from this is going to keep raining down on Jackie and UVa for years. Cavalier Daily has not ...

• Carrie Clarke said:

Publishing this in the school newspaper is extremely callous and insulting to all of the other UVa students and faculty (Dean Eramo) who have been harmed ...

• HallieJane said:

Dear Cavalier Daily: Where on God's green earth have you been. No one was in a better position to discover Jackie was lying - Was there a party that ...

• CrazyD said:

The Washington Post has a bombshell today where it was revealed that Jackie made up the UVA Junior in order to get "Randall" jealous and interested in ...