(RSS)   Virginia Film Festival

Hello I Must Be Going

The performances of lead actors Melanie Lynskey and Christopher Abbott pull together the very tragically subtle story of Amy’s recent divorce and how she finds understanding through her relationship with nineteen-year-old Jeremy. The story in itself, while definitely offering a distinct look at both love and knowledge of the self, would not hold the strength that it does without the two leads, who bring humor in the most uncomfortably realistic of places. The film focuses especially on Amy, who had basically moved back in with her parents after her ex-husband cheated on her and then asked for a divorce. Her parents, however, were trying to find success in the rough economy by gaining the business of Jeremy’s stepfather, so when the two start to fall for each other, Amy finally finds herself in her mid-thirties and forced to learn to actually grow up. The story has strong, witty moments that contrast to the sad reality that is Amy’s life. I would recommend Hello, I Must Be Going because it has a voice of its own. 4/5 stars. – Annie Wilmer

More from Virginia Film Festival

Posted in Virginia Film Festival on November 3, 2012

• Charles Mathewes said:

Patrick is a UVA graduate, by the way. Sherri was a terrific, funny, and warm human being, and the world is a more grey place without her.
    on U.Va. investment manager remembered for contributions

• Michael said:

No, UGuides got in trouble by forcing their people to drink ungodly amounts of alcohol. FYP doesn't ask their rollers to do anything dangerous at all ...
    on FYP roll offends students in Clemons

• Bruno Hob said:

The main effect of the renovation, aside from needed electrical and mechanical upgrades,will be the removal of thousands of books from Alderman, as is ...
    on Library System plans Alderman renovation

• ML NJ said:

I'm just wondering about the use of the word =pride= here. Is it used in the sense of a group as e.g. a pride of lions? Or is it being proud of something, ...
    on Charlottesville hosts Pride Festival

• Elissa Botin said:

Isn't this a slight overreaction? I mean, this wasn't exactly a purely anti-semitic song...so a few people who weren't familiar with the play might have ...
    on FYP roll offends students in Clemons