(RSS)   Hoos4News

Yale professor visits University, discusses political mass killings

Timothy Snyder, a Yale University history professor and author, gave a lecture Thursday in Ruffner Hall about his book “Bloodlands.” The novel focuses on the Holocaust and other political mass killings in Poland, Ukraine, the Baltic States and Eastern Russia.

Rather than taking a chronological approach to killings, Snyder examines the events of individual regions, placing them in the larger context of international politics. “Bloodlands” also looks at the domestic-level policies of both Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union that led to mass murder.

“One of the things the book does eloquently is put these things in conversation,” said Piotr Kosicki, associate director of the Center for Russian, East European and Eurasian Studies.

Snyder stressed that his book is not solely about narratives of national history, but also follows the stories of individuals affected by the regimes’ policies.

“We need to try to turn these numbers into individual people,” Snyder said.

But true understanding of these mass killings requires a broader historical perspective, Snyder said.

“It is impossible not to be making these comparisons. . . I think that we can only retain the Holocaust if we make it a part of history, if we compare it to other things,” Snyder said.

Snyder’s lecture was part of an ongoing lecture series being hosted by the Jewish Studies Program; Center for Russian, East European and Eurasian Studies; and Page-Barbour Initiative on International Criminal Justice.

This post originally incorrectly stated the affiliation of Piotr Kosicki. He is no longer a lecturer at American University; he, instead, is the Associate Director of the Center for Russian, East European and Eurasian Studies at the University and a lecturer in the History Department. The Cavalier Daily regrets the error.

Posted in Hoos4News on September 20, 2012

• Charles Mathewes said:

Patrick is a UVA graduate, by the way. Sherri was a terrific, funny, and warm human being, and the world is a more grey place without her.
    on U.Va. investment manager remembered for contributions

• ari said:

disappointing equivocations throughout this piece. putting "rape," "sexual objectification," "sex crimes," and "sexism" in a two minute read does not ...
    on The Cavalier Daily :: Treading water

• ML NJ said:

I'm just wondering about the use of the word =pride= here. Is it used in the sense of a group as e.g. a pride of lions? Or is it being proud of something, ...
    on Charlottesville hosts Pride Festival

• Michael said:

No, UGuides got in trouble by forcing their people to drink ungodly amounts of alcohol. FYP doesn't ask their rollers to do anything dangerous at all ...
    on FYP roll offends students in Clemons

• Bruno Hob said:

The main effect of the renovation, aside from needed electrical and mechanical upgrades,will be the removal of thousands of books from Alderman, as is ...
    on Library System plans Alderman renovation