Al-Hassan Koroma

To infinity and beyond the Lawn

Anticipation. Merriam-Webster defines it as “the act of looking forward, especially to a pleasurable expectation.” It’s the waiting period before a song’s beat drops, or the upward climb on a huge roller coaster.

Small things

I walked into El Jaripeo for a causal Sunday dinner with my roommate this weekend, and I suddenly found myself at what appeared to be headquarters for sorority life.

Looking back

As I was sitting on my Amtrak train back down to Charlottesville this weekend, I started thinking about how quickly the fall went by.

New places, new faces

Every couple of months, U.Va. allows us to leave our monotonous lives as college students and go back home to the luxuries of our own rooms, the holiday cups at Starbucks, our moms’ — dad’s in my case — home cooking, and our high school friends without whom we thought we could never live.

Take a stand

Last week, our nation reelected Barack Obama to be the 44th president of the United States of America.

Five dollars or less

For the past couple of weeks, I’ve fallen into a routine. I start my week early Monday morning, and I can’t wait for the clock to strike 5 o’clock on Thursday.

Friendships, new and old

A couple of weeks ago, a friend told me that several studies had found that nostalgia was the most debilitating emotion that someone can feel.

Fear of missing out

Growing up as an only child wasn’t all that it was cracked up to be. Although people think being an only child means you get whatever you want, there is a dark side too — … dun dun dun — the feeling that you are always being left out. As a kid, the only things that mattered to me were my Pokémon cards, my friend’s movie birthday parties and group playdates after school.

More articles »