Matthew Denton-Edmundson

Livable wages: contract workers

Although the University pays one of the highest entry-level wages in Charlottesville, living wage campaign organizers have said the administration is not doing its part to halt the United States' steadily worsening class inequality.

Livable wages: class tensions

The issue of class inequality has risen to the forefront in recent weeks as the living wage campaign renews its push to improve the wages of the University's lowest-paid employees. At an event held two weeks ago, faculty and students rallied with chants - "one, two, three, four, no one should be working-poor" - renewing a debate that has long sparked conflict among students, administrators and staff at the University. The student campaign The living wage campaign is nothing new.

A rocky road to tenure?

The Office of the Dean of the College amended its procedural guidelines in August 2009 to state that the College's Promotion and Tenure Committee would no longer reconsider denied tenure cases.

University community considers Haiti

Though the past two weeks have seen a widespread and popular outpouring of support for Haiti after a 7.0 magnitude earthquake rocked the tiny island, individuals and organizations on Grounds have not lessened their focus on helping to secure the devastated country's future. According to the Hoos for Haiti blog, the organization has almost reached the halfway mark of its $100,000 goal.

McDonnell names transition team to manage appointments

Last week, Governor-elect Bob McDonnell announced the leaders of his transition team, which will include Thomas Farrell, the current Dominion Power CEO and a former member of the University's Board of Visitors. The leaders will advise McDonnell's appointment of administrators and cabinet members as he takes the reins in Richmond from current Governor Tim Kaine.

More articles »