Sarah Hunter Simanson

Deceased honored

Student Council's representative body yesterday evening passed three resolutions which honor the three students who passed away this academic year.

OpenGrounds project begins

The Office of the Vice President for Research yesterday launched OpenGrounds, a studio space on the Corner geared toward collaborative research. The center, featuring projectors and sound systems, is the first in a network of spaces the University hopes to open in an effort to encourage interdisciplinary thought. "The idea is to provide a new way for faculty, students, external partners, community members to come together to take on major questions we face as a society," said William Sherman, the founding director of OpenGrounds and associate vice president for research. The studio is constructed as a multi-use space with an open environment, featuring multiple projectors, sound systems and tables and chairs.

Author talks personal politics

Author Frank Costigliola spoke Friday morning at the Miller Center about his recently released book, "Roosevelt's Lost Alliances: How Personal Politics Helped Start the Cold War," as part of the Gordon and Mary Beth Smyth History Forum.

Student Council supports Virginia21 actions

Student Council representatives yesterday evening passed a resolution 14-0 to signal the body's support of lobbying group Virginia21's efforts to increase funding for higher education. Alex Reber, second-year Engineering student and co-chair of the Legislative Affairs Committee, introduced the resolution last month.

More articles »