No. 5 rowing sends seniors off, dominates U.Va. Invitational

Virginia sweeps nine races against Michigan State, Syracuse

In the last home regatta for the team’s 15 seniors — a count including captains Elle Murray and Emily Pik — No. 5 Virginia swept all nine races in Saturday’s U.Va. Invitational against Michigan State and No. 17 Syracuse. The Lake Monticello meet was the last for the Cavaliers before the ACC Championships in May.

Virginia competed against two top-10 programs in their previous outing, and while the team took nine wins in 12 races at the ACC/Big Ten Challenge, the Varsity Eight lost to both then-No. 10 Michigan and then-No. 3 Ohio State. This weekend the Varsity Eight bounced right back, cruising to a 9.1 second win (6:30.6-6:39.7) against the Orange and a 4.9 second win (6:33.0-6:37.9) against the Spartans.

The Second Varsity Eight — which split its two races last weekend — also had a strong showing at the U.Va. Invitational, placing first by 13.0 seconds and 19.8 seconds against Syracuse and Michigan State, respectively. Wins continued to roll in later, as both Cavalier Varsity Fours topped the Spartans (7:18.7-7:20.8-7:29.4), while the Orange came in second between Virginia’s two crews (7:19.6-7:25.4-7:31.3).

To round out the day, the Cavaliers picked up victories at Third and Fourth Varsity Eights against George Mason, Fifth Varsity Eight against Duke and then again in the last race of the day, at Third and Fourth Varsity Eight against Syracuse.

Virginia will head to Clemson, South Carolina May 16-17 for the 2014 edition of the ACC Championships. The Cavaliers have come away with the conference title each of the last four seasons as well as in 13 of their 14 total ACC Championships.