President Sullivan releases statement in response to Johnson's arrest

Sullivan asks eyewitness to come forward, says safety and security are primary concerns

<p>Sullivan said tuition will decrease for 70 percent of Virginia students.</p>

Sullivan said tuition will decrease for 70 percent of Virginia students.

University President Teresa Sullivan issued a statement in response to the arrest of third-year College student Martese Johnson following an incident on the Corner early this morning in which Johnson sustained a head injury while Alcoholic Beverage Control agents placed him under arrest.

“I write to express my deep concern about an incident that occurred on The Corner early this morning and to provide information about immediate steps that I have taken in response,” Sullivan said in the statement.

Sullivan said Johnson was injured as ABC agents “were attempting to take him into custody,” but that details have not yet been clarified.

“We have not yet clarified all of the details surrounding this event, but we are seeking to do so as quickly as possible,” Sullivan said.

Sullivan said she met with Charlottesville Police Chief Timothy Longo and University Police Chief Mike Gibson this morning to “learn more about the incident.”

Sullivan said she also contacted the Governor’s office to request an independent Virginia State Police investigation of the incident. In response, Governor Terry McAuliffe has asked the Secretary of Public Safety to initiate an investigation, spokesperson Brian McCoy said. Sullivan requested that eyewitnesses come forward to assist in the investigation.

“The safety and security of our students will always be my primary concern, and every member of our community should feel safe from the threat of bodily harm and other forms of violence,” Sullivan said in conclusion. “Today, as U.Va. students, faculty, and staff who share a set of deeply held values, we stand unified in our commitment to seeking the truth about this incident. And we stand united in our belief that equal treatment and equal justice are among our fundamental rights under the law.”

This article previously stated incorrectly that Mike Gibson is the chief of the Charlottesville Police.