Foxfield arrests show continuing decline at 2015 races

Apprehension numbers down to seven from 61 in 2012

<p>There were seven arrests at the 2015 Foxfield, less than half than in 2014.</p>

There were seven arrests at the 2015 Foxfield, less than half than in 2014.

The number of arrests at the 37th annual Foxfield Races on Saturday decreased substantially from last year. The Albemarle Police Department arrested six people and the Albemarle County Sheriff’s Office arrested one, totalling seven arrests. There were 18 arrests in 2014, 33 in 2013 and 61 in 2012.

According to a press release from the Albemarle County Police Department, 200 safety personnel were monitoring the event. Sergeant Darrell R. Byers said that roughly 70 of these 200 personnel were Albemarle County police officers.

The event, notorious for its many alcohol- and drug-related offenses, saw all seven of this year’s arrests for alcohol-related charges, including public drunkenness and underage possession of alcohol.

The police department said the number of University students arrested is unknown this year. Last year, however, eight of the 18 arrested were University students, while another six were students from Cornell University, Georgetown University, University of Richmond, James Madison University and Lynchburg College.

“I know in years past we broke [those numbers] down,” Byers said. “We weren’t able to capture that information as we were able to capture it last year.”

Student Council may have contributed to the year-over-year declines in the number of arrests by providing bussing to and from the event, possibly preventing charges related to driving while intoxicated. This may have also contributed to a decrease in the number of traffic violations.

“There were 32 traffic summonses issued,” Byers said in a press release. “In 2014, a total of 54 traffic summonses were issued. In 2013, 61 traffic summonses were issued.”

In preparation for Foxfield, the Albemarle County Police Department led significant public education efforts, which included talks with student groups on Grounds on what the safety personnel would be looking for at the races.

“We were encouraging participants — particularly the students — to buddy up and to watch out for one another, not to leave that person alone and to make sure that if someone was getting sick, that they would take them to the medical center to get some help,” Byers said.

The press release said the department believes these safety initiatives are the driving factor for the decrease in arrests. Byers said these initiatives also helped attendees practice safer drinking.

“There were 43 calls for service at Foxfield where people received medical assistance,” Byers said.

Student groups on Grounds also contributed to safety initiatives, such as the Alcohol and Drug Abuse Prevention Team’s Savvy Fox Pledge. By signing, students pledged to practice safe drinking habits for both themselves and others and to avoid drinking and driving.