Men’s golf has mixed spring break performance

<p>Senior Derek Bard led the Cleveland Palmetto with a combined score of 204, six under par.</p>

Senior Derek Bard led the Cleveland Palmetto with a combined score of 204, six under par.

The Virginia men’s golf team experienced mixed results over spring break as they competed in two tournaments — the Cleveland Golf Palmetto Intercollegiate in Aiken, S.C., and the General Hackler Championship in Myrtle Beach, S.C.

Playing the week without senior captain Jimmy Stanger — the current team leader in stroke averages at 69.67 shots per round — the Cavaliers finished the Cleveland Palmetto in second place and the General Hackler Championship in thirteenth place.

Virginia first played in the two-day Cleveland Palmetto. The team shot a combined three-round score of 836 (four-under) to finish second out of 18 teams. Clemson finished in first place just one stroke ahead of the Cavaliers with a combined score of 835 (five-under).

Senior captain Derek Bard led the Cavaliers’ impressive performance, individually finishing first overall out of 90 golfers with a combined three-round score of 204 (six-under). Bard was at his very best in the second round of the tournament, in which he birdied six of his final nine holes. It was Bard’s third career first-place finish.

Junior Danny Walker and sophomore Thomas Walsh also had exceptional performances at the Cleveland Palmetto, finishing tied for second and tied for ninth, respectively.

Virginia then played in the General Hackler Championship, in which the team shot a combined two-round score of 601 (25-over) to finish thirteenth out of 15 teams.

The Cavaliers had a rough day two performance. After starting the second day tied for thirteenth place, Virginia shot a round-two score of 306 (18-over). The tournament was then cut short by a round due to inclement weather.

Bard was again the team’s top performer, shooting 145 (one-over) to finish individually tied for fifteenth out of 84 golfers.

Stanger missed the two tournaments due to competing as an amateur in the Valspar Championship, a tournament within the PGA Tour. Competing against the likes of some of the world’s best golfers, including Bubba Watson, Jim Furyk and Vijay Singh, Stanger shot a two-round score of 149 (seven-over), missing the cut.

Virginia will next compete in the three-day Linger Longer Invitational starting Sunday in Eatonton, Ga. Last year, the Cavaliers finished in fourth place in the tournament.

Look for Bard and Stanger to compete for first place overall. Both finished in the top 10 in last year’s tournament, with Bard finishing tied for fourth and Stanger finishing tied for eighth.