U.Va. responds to changing immigration, travel policies

Sullivan, Katsouleas offer resources, encouragement for affected students

<p>Sullivan and Katsouleas said the effects of the immigration order will, either directly or indirectly, affect the entire University and student body.</p>

Sullivan and Katsouleas said the effects of the immigration order will, either directly or indirectly, affect the entire University and student body.

University President Teresa Sullivan and Executive Vice President and Provost Tom Katsouleas sent an email to the University community Tuesday supporting students and faculty affected by memorandums the Department of Homeland Security released last week.

The memorandums specified plans to strengthen enforcement of federal immigration policy, including the addition of more categories of immigration statuses to be prioritized for deportation and the hiring of more immigration enforcement agents.

President Donald Trump is also expected to sign an executive order later this week to replace a previous order signed in January that banned refugees and non-naturalized citizens traveling from seven Muslim-majority countries from entering the U.S.

A federal court in Seattle halted implementation of the order on Feb. 3 and a panel of three federal judges on the Ninth Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals refused to reinstate the executive order.

The January order received backlash in the University community, sparking a march against the executive action and a teach-in organized by several professors. Several lawmakers and officials also condemned the order.

Some students have also expressed fear that the Trump administration will overturn Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals — a policy implemented during the Obama administration that deferred deportation action against undocumented people who arrived in the U.S. and who met certain requirements. One of the DHS memorandums says DACA “will be addressed in future guidance,” meaning the policy will remain in place for the time being.

The University previously said it will protect students’ immigration statuses and will only share information if required to do so by the law.

Sullivan told The Cavalier Daily Tuesday that the statement is an effort to provide students, faculty and staff with resources in case they may be affected by Trump’s expected executive orders.

“I realize that that is a really fluid situation and it could easily change tomorrow, but I do want to put out a statement at least so that they understand that we are aware of the issues, we’ve given them what advice we can,” Sullivan said.

In their email to the community, Sullivan and Katsouleas said the University’s International Studies Office and Human Resources department has been working with immigrant students, faculty and staff to offer advice on how to comply with new restrictions given their immigration and visa statuses.

The University has also sought legal counsel, according to the email.

“We are continuing to consult with University leaders and others who have expertise related to these issues, and to seek advice from the immigration attorneys appointed by the Commonwealth of Virginia to serve the state’s public universities,” the email said.

Sullivan said in an interview that since the University cannot predict how immigration policy will continue to change, spring break plans could potentially become an issue.

“If you plan to go to Mexico for spring break and you’re carrying a passport from another country, that might be a riskier thing to do right now,” Sullivan said. “Our advice is maybe you should just stay home right now.”

Other potential issues that could arise from changing immigration policies include the potential restricted ability of international students and physicians to attend or work for the University, Sullivan said.

“I do anticipate that we’ll have some issues going forward with international students applying to come here, with [post-doctoral students],” Sullivan said. “I’ve talked to a physician in the medical school today who’s concerned about their ability to hire physicians from abroad.”

Sullivan and Katsouleas said the effects of evolving policies will, either directly or indirectly, affect the entire University and student body.

“Even if you are not experiencing the effects of the new federal policies on immigration and travel, many of your students, classmates and colleagues are,” the email said. “If just one member of our community feels vulnerable or threatened, all of us must step forward with support and encouragement.”